Hot Topics

transfer system files between Macs

dushsnm 15:23 05 Apr 2020

My wife's older iMac is running Mountain Lion while on my Mac Pro I'm using Sierra. I want to update her iMac to run Sierra as well, but my Sierra version, not the stock one from Apple. The reason is that my version has been steadily updated from Tiger and has behavior that would make it much easier for me to administer my wife's iMac (such as specific keyboard control when entering text, a file manager recognizing keyboard commands, etc.). Her iMac is fully backed up, and now I can migrate from my computer to hers, but she doesn't need or want all my apps, mail data, etc. So what is the best way to merge my OS's Sierra system files with her existing data files?

wee eddie 18:55 05 Apr 2020

My guess is that, as with Windows, your OS is specific to your Model and will not include the parts needed to run on her model.

bremner 21:55 05 Apr 2020

That’s the trouble with guessing, this is a Mac not Windows.

You can use Migration Assitant to choose which parts of your back up you want to transfer to your wife’s. click here

wee eddie 23:27 05 Apr 2020

Many apologies bremner: I was under the impression that dushsnm wanted to transfer to Operating System, Sierra, and that his wife had already made the information, on her Mac, secure

dushsnm 22:30 06 Apr 2020

Thanks for your comments. I was unaware that you could choose what to transfer using Migration Assistant. I'll look into it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Why you can't get the Windows 10 May update yet

Inspiring Creative Projects in response to Pandemic & Protest

Upcoming 11in iPad Air to switch Lightning for USB-C

Déconfinement : tout savoir sur l’application StopCovid