Transfer music from my ipod touch to my pc

mucky1957 17:27 20 Sep 2019

Can someone please explain how I transfer all my old ipod touch music to my pc. I connect my ipod to the pc with the usb cable and all it shows me is the photos stored on there. I can't see/find ipod / control /music or anything like that. I can see the music on itunes but I can't transfer from there either. Help Please.

AroundAgain 20:16 20 Sep 2019

If you open Windows Explorer, can you see the iPod? If so, you should be able to find the music files. I would presume they would be .mp3 file type

mucky1957 23:03 20 Sep 2019

If I open explorer I can see ipod..click on ipod and I get a page that shows internal storage ( 12.8gb free of 28.5gb ). Click on that and it says DCIM..click on that and I get a file folder that says 842GGluf..click on that and I get the photos stored on the ipod..no music..no music files or folders ??. I have no idea how to access the music

wee eddie 11:41 22 Sep 2019

Could it be an iTunes thing?

mucky1957 12:16 22 Sep 2019

probably..I dont seem to be able to s'see' anything on ipod except for the few photos still on there. I have over 10gb of music which I can see when I open the music folder on the ipod. I just dont seem able to transfer it to my pc

x13 12:26 22 Sep 2019

I have no idea if this software will work with an ipod. It's designed with iPhones and iPads in mind but you may just give it a go. It's called MobiMover free by EasUS.

EaseUS MobiMover Free 4.9

Try it at your own risk though.

mucky1957 12:30 22 Sep 2019

will check that out. Thanks

Gordon Freeman 13:50 22 Sep 2019

In the days when I used an iPod, I seem to recall that Apple made it very difficult to copy/move music from the iPod - all to do with preventing illegal activity such as 'copying' & license infringement.

It was easy enough to transfer music to the iPod, via iTunes, but once on the device, I think the iPod re-coded music into a specific file format.

I think you'll need a specific piece of software to achieve what you wish to do, so do some googling & see if there's anything free out there, but be cautious of what you try, & where you get it from.

mucky1957 15:31 22 Sep 2019

that 'sounds' about right ( no pun intended )I am taking it to a tech guy on Tuesday and hopefully he can help. I do see all the music when I open itunes but I don't seem able to transfer from there either.

Gordon Freeman 16:08 22 Sep 2019

No, you can't transfer from iTunes (for the reasons mentioned earlier), so like I said, you'll need specific software to 'un-code' the apple 'encoding'. Your tech guy won't be able to just extract music files either without the software, as far as I'm aware.

Gordon Freeman 16:08 22 Sep 2019

No, you can't transfer from iTunes (for the reasons mentioned earlier), so like I said, you'll need specific software to 'un-code' the apple 'encoding'. Your tech guy won't be able to just extract music files either without the software, as far as I'm aware.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs