Suddenly loud fans and slow MacBook

VictoriaG331 20:58 26 Dec 2018

About 1 month ago, my MacBook suddenly started running really slow with the fans making lots of noise. Before that I never had any similar problems, it's just like suddenly something happened and it started getting worse ever since. I have a MacBook Air 11'' from early 2014, more specs below.

Processor: 1.4Ghz Intel Core i5 Memory: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB

Also, I have the latest update of macOS Mojave version 10.14.2.

Basically the problem Is that as soon as I turn on the macbook, the fans start making lots of noise. The computer is overall really slow, and even if I just have one window with safari open, it still runs at a really slow rate. Doing basic things such as clicking on buttons, closing windows and opening applications can take a really long time to do. I checked the CPU usage, and it looks like this:

This seemed really weird, as I at first couldn't find any system process taking up that much of the CPU, but later I started up the activity monitor again and I saw something called kernel_task, maybe something that's causing my problems?

Before taking the screenshot above I reset my entire macbook. That is to say I deleted the hard drive and created a new one, and then I reinstalled macOS, so I have no third party programs installed whatsoever, and there is nothing taking up hardrive space, besides the default programs etc.

I've also tried starting the Mac in safe mode, but the problem still persists.

Help is much appreciated, I'm really desperate since this is the only computer I own and I really need to get this fixed.

VictoriaG331 21:02 26 Dec 2018

Seems like I failed to upload the image of CPU processes, here is a link: click here

wee eddie 10:46 31 Dec 2018

Dust clogging cooling system

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Designing a near-future Kowloon Walled City for Alita: Battle Angel

Microsoft brings Windows Defender ATP to the Mac

AirPower : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique