Hot Topics

Slow MacBook Pro after updating OS

Stephen1986 16:44 03 Nov 2019
Answered

Hi, I have had my Apple MacBook Pro for a couple of years and I always kept the same OS that came with the Mac. Recently I decided to update to Mac OS Catalina but found that this OS was not compatible with a game I wanted to play on steam. I decided to downgrade to OS Mojave and it has made my laptop super slow now even tho the laptop is empty except for steam which I have reinstalled. Does anyone have any advice/ tips on how to make my laptop run at normal speed again??

bremner 06:56 22 Nov 2019

When you have booted to Catalina what drives does Disk Utility show and hoe are they described?

Stephen1986 22:42 26 Nov 2019

Hi, thanks for your message. Can you be a bit more Specific?? I've gone into disk utility and it just says internal on the side of the screen and list 4 drives: Macintosh HD Macintosh HD Data Macintosh HD Data Mac OS Mojave Partition

And then it just gives an overview of which ever drive I've selected so its says the size of the drive (399gb) and then just has other categories listed such as: Mount point Capacity Available Used Type Owners Connection Device

Hope this makes sense.

bremner 23:26 27 Nov 2019

If you are familiar with using the terminal (Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal)

Can you type "diskutil list" (no speech marks) and hit return - copy the output and paste in in a posting here please

Stephen1986 20:24 28 Nov 2019

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUIDpartitionscheme *500.1 GB disk0 1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 399.8 GB disk0s2 3: Apple_APFS Container disk2 100.1 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (synthesized): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: APFS Container Scheme - +399.8 GB disk1 Physical Store disk0s2 1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data ... 13.4 GB disk1s1 2: APFS Volume Preboot 49.7 MB disk1s2 3: APFS Volume Recovery 1.1 GB disk1s3 4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk1s4 5: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 10.7 GB disk1s5 6: APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data 10.7 GB disk1s6

/dev/disk2 (synthesized): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: APFS Container Scheme - +100.1 GB disk2 Physical Store disk0s3 1: APFS Volume Mac Os Mojave Partition 19.4 GB disk2s1 2: APFS Volume Preboot 24.2 MB disk2s2 3: APFS Volume Recovery 507.4 MB disk2s3 4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk2s4

. Hope this helps. cheers for your reply

bremner 14:45 05 Dec 2019

Sorry for not responding but have been away

DiskUtil confirms you still have Catalina on Disk1 with the Volume Name Macintosh HD as the format as you can see here was only introduced on Catalina and Disk 2 has the Volume name Mac OS Mojave

First Boot to Recovery and in Disk Utility try and run First Aid on the Mojave disk. If this does not help and you do not want Catalina then I would use Disk Utility to erase the entire disk and partition as you want and then install Mojave onto one partition.

It is never advisable to try and delete an operating system using an application running on it at the time you are trying to delete it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

The Best Keyboards for Designers and Artists

Appification is the real threat to the Mac

Bon plan Amazon : l’aspirateur robot RoboVac L70 Hybrid de Eufy à 379,99 €