Hot Topics

Slow imac help required please

Strandville 19:17 20 Feb 2020

hi folks, seeking advice for my iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) running 8gb ddr3 ram. The machine has become barely useable it is so slow. I understand upgrading the ram on tis series iMac is quite daunting but Im confident enough if I need to I can do just that, but I feel the issue may well lie with the HD rather than ram (I know Ram would help though) my initial thoughts are to change the HD to an SSD drive in the hope that this would alleviate some of the issues Im having, would anyone advise if this is a good idea or am I barking up the wrong tree. I run a small home printing business and running Photoshop can be highly tedious , any help much appreciated.

bremner 17:08 21 Feb 2020

I think this model has a thunderbolt port. This can be used to run an external SSD on which you could transfer the os from the internal. This will significantly speed up the machine. Leaving the internal drive as storage and you don’t need to disassemble the machine.

Strandville 19:26 21 Feb 2020

Hi, many thanks for the response, can you expand further please as this option would be a lifesaver.

Strandville 20:33 22 Feb 2020

I believe my connection is thunderbolt 2 is it fair to say the usb 3 port would do the same job ? Or is the thunderbolt 2 port going to realise better results, SSD drive ordered and on the way.

Strandville 09:35 24 Feb 2020

I've added an external SSD drive to the Mac and installed the os on it, it's currently connected via USB 3 and thunderbolt 3 on the drive enclosure, the difference in speed is considerable. I believe this will increase quite a bit if the drive is attached fully using the thunderbolt connection but apple are charging extortionate amount for a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 lead. I intend running the Mac for a bit in the current setup with the view of fitting SSD internally, thanks for the input to all who replied

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google brings group video calls to the Nest Hub Max

Why Animated Characters in Brand Advertising Are Grrrreat

iPhone 12 series could have smaller batteries

Les meilleurs SSD et disques durs externes (2020)