Right click on desktop freezes machine

Laser157 08:39 20 Apr 2006

When I right click on the desktop the machine freezes, except I can log off via the start button and then close down. Right clicking the taskbar is OK.

In other repects the machine is working well. I only use right click on the desktop to access display properties which is still accessible via Windows Explorer/desktop/right click. So it's not a huge problem, but irritating all the same!

I am not sure how long it's been like this, so cannot easily pin the problem to a specific event. Recently however my wireless modem /gateway / router went dead and has been replaced. Hard to see a connection there though.

I have done sfc /scannow and also system restore back several days, but no change.

Windows XP SP2

Any ideas?

Dumble452 09:33 20 Apr 2006

This also happened to me after installing the last crop of XP updates. I think it was KB908531 Security update for WindowsXP which caused the problem. Still awaiting a solution from Microsoft.

Laser157 10:13 20 Apr 2006

Thanks Dumble for this reply - quite re-assuring! I'll keep an eye out for any news from MS. Have you seen any referrence to this elsewhere?

Laser157 10:17 20 Apr 2006

OK - now done a search on that update and found other referrences. Thanks again - I'll show this as resolved for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts