PC and Mac together on router ? - please help

laserjet 20:50 14 Nov 2005

This is my first post.
My main computer is an iMac, connected via a single Speedtouch 330 modem to the net. I want a wireless connection to a second (Dell) desktop PC. I'm not getting much help from various stores who are keen to sell me a router and accessories, but no compatibility advice. What do I need so that each computer can access the net separately, without the main one being on? Is this possible ? What problems, if any, does a dual platform system have?
Thanks

Forum Editor 20:55 14 Nov 2005

to our networking forum.

johnnyrocker 20:55 14 Nov 2005
  mgmcc 23:34 14 Nov 2005

You need a router and, as you appear currently to have ADSL broadband via a USB modem, you need a combined "Router/ADSL Modem". Your USB modem cannot be used in conjunction with a router.

The dual Mac/Windows platforms aren't an issue, because both the Mac and PC will connect to the router by ethernet. I have Mac, Linux and Windows connected to a router without any problem.

laserjet 07:21 15 Nov 2005

Thanks Johnny. I now have access to a combined Router/ADSL modem (Cable & Wireless), 108Mbps 11g with a wireless option, but as it came with a Windows CD,(XP) I can't access it using a Mac. It's not clear if I need to use a CD set-up disc. The set up is to enter a code in the browser address (192.168.0.1) when the net is connected. I get the correct green sequence of WAN/ADSL lights.
If I can get this working, what do I then need in the second computer to receive the wireless signal? It doesn't say what extras are needed in the two sided help sheet!
OR, do I make the PC the first computer and the Mac the second one - again, I'm not sure how to wirelessly connect them.
I suppose I could get an Apple airport and work from that direction.

mgmcc 08:43 15 Nov 2005

Normally, the initial configuration of the router requires a "wired" connection from a computer's network adapter to one of the router's LAN ports. This is because you have a "chicken & egg" situation with "wireless" access - you cannot configure the wireless settings because you cannot connect and you cannot connect because it isn't configured. Hence, the initial "wired" connection.

<<< as it came with a Windows CD,(XP) I can't access it using a Mac. >>>

You shouldn't need the CD, just type the router's IP address 192.168.0.1 into a web browser ("Safari" or whatever in the Mac should be fine) and the router's configuration pages should open. However, if there is some software that needs to be run in a PC, is there any reason why you cannot use the Dell desktop you originally mentioned?

<<< OR, do I make the PC the first computer and the Mac the second one >>>

There is no "first" and "second" computer when using a Router. Both computers connect directly to the router (wirelessly or wired) and have an equal and independent status in the network. You *DO NOT* enable "Internet Connection Sharing" in either computer.

<<< If I can get this working, what do I then need in the second computer to receive the wireless signal? >>>

To connect wirelessly to the router, the PC needs to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed - either an internal PCI card or a USB WiFi "dongle".

laserjet 21:05 15 Nov 2005

Thanks for the ideas. OK, so I DON'T need to be connected to the net to set this up? I'm following the installation guide exactly:
1) After connecting the router, wait for WAN/ADSL LED to stop flashing. Yes
2) Insert set up CD, which runs automatically.
3) Open browser and type click here in address box.
message "web page unavailable".
This is where I get stuck.
Am I reading your email correctly? or, do I net connect using my original ADSL modem, which I CAN get conected with, and then plug in the router using a wired connection, set up, then disconnect the original modem? I'm confused.
Thanks

laserjet 21:05 15 Nov 2005

Thanks for the ideas. OK, so I DON'T need to be connected to the net to set this up? I'm following the installation guide exactly:
1) After connecting the router, wait for WAN/ADSL LED to stop flashing. Yes
2) Insert set up CD, which runs automatically.
3) Open browser and type click here in address box.
message "web page unavailable".
This is where I get stuck.
Am I reading your email correctly? or, do I net connect using my original ADSL modem, which I CAN get conected with, and then plug in the router using a wired connection, set up, then disconnect the original modem? I'm confused.
Thanks

mgmcc 23:01 15 Nov 2005

Normally, a router can be configured just by entering its IP address into a web browser to open its setup pages. However, my broadband is with Telewest "Cable" so I don't have the added complication of setting up an ADSL connection. You may have to have the router connected to the phone line before you can set it up, but then 192.168.0.1 should open its setup.

Try "pinging" its address and see if that works. In Mac OS X, Finder's menus, "Go > Utilities > Network Utility", select the Ping tab, enter the address 192.168.0.1 and click Ping.

<<< do I net connect using my original ADSL modem, which I CAN get conected with >>>

No, the original USB modem is not involved in setting up the router to get online.

Taran 12:28 16 Nov 2005

Just to be clear, many cable routers do not have a built in modem and as such your current modem may plug into the router, then the router is connected to your PC via a LAN/network cable (CAT5 with RJ45 terminals) or via a wireless adapter.

Cable routers differ wildly from combined ADSL routers.

Much depends on the version of your Mac OS as to how best to proceed. Some versions of the Mac OS are far easier to set up to a router than others, and some are also easier to get talking to a PC than others.

To begin with you should connect the Mac to the router using a network cable. Type the router address (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1) into the address bar of your web browser and try to access the router's control panel. You may have to tweak some basic network connection parameters on your Mac - again, this depends on the OS version.

If you can get that far, configuring the wireless side of things should be a simple case of following the destructions that came with your device.

That said, your Mac may not have the relevant wireless capability in which case an external USB wireless adapter can be bought for around £20 which should work perfectly with the Mac. As much detail on your Mac as you can supply would help a lot.

To share files between your PC and the Mac over the network through the router will be your next step and for this it would be really handy to know the version of the Mac OS you have because the instructions really can be very, very different and I'd hate to waste your time with the wrong ones.

T

mgmcc 13:17 16 Nov 2005

<<< your Mac may not have the relevant wireless capability in which case an external USB wireless adapter can be bought for around £20 which should work perfectly with the Mac >>>

You got me excited there for a minute - I plugged my Belkin USB 2.0 WiFi adapter into one of my MacMini's USB ports and....nothing! It didn't recognise it even when rebooted. :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?