One off BSOD: one off machine gun noise

hatrickj 07:17 23 Dec 2008

My Evesham Athlon XP2240+ bought May 2004 gave a BSOD at start up the other day, and then a few days later, what I thought was the hard disk, made a noise like a machine gun rattle. This eventually ceased. Just before that I had made rare use of the floppy drive, but that was empty, so it could not have been that.

Since then there has been no oddity or problem, so should I be concerned?

hastelloy 08:31 23 Dec 2008

I've heard empty floppy drives make a noise as you describe so it could be that - doesn't explain the BSOD though. If you don't have a backup then you should be concerned.

^wave^ 08:44 23 Dec 2008

could be a floppy or did you have a cd loaded i have heard them make noises before try going to the event viewer and looking at what caused the error

hatrickj 09:07 23 Dec 2008

No CD loaded. Does the fact that the events were days apart make it less likely that it is the harbinger of something more serious?

xania 12:07 23 Dec 2008

BSOD can be caused by anything and if you can't replicate the problem you'll never be able to find the cause. However, no repetition so I wouldn't worry. That rattle is almost certainly the floppy dosk drive trying to read when there's noting in the drive - could be some sort of virus (or other nasty scanner) having started up automatically. Next time it happens, try insweerting a floppy into the drive - that should stop it. IMHO neither any cause for concern and almost certainly timing coincidence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?