New SSD - clean install or from Time Machine?

FlyFisherJim 19:13 07 Aug 2019

I have a Macbook Pro late 2012 with 128gb hard drive. Lacking space, I bought a Transcend JetDrive (256gb) some years ago. All data such as docs, images and music is on the JetDrive, and OS and apps on the Mac SSD. Now, I have decided to upgrade the SSD to 1 tb OWC hard drive. Should I do a clean, fresh install of OS and then just add apps and al data files, or simply use Time Machine to put everything back? Will there be loads of redundant files form old, unistalled apps etc that I really don't need on my nice new shiny SSD, or am I worrying about nothing? Of course, if I use Time Machine I don't have to worry about forgetting to back up old Outlook emails or de-activate programmes such as iTunes or Office 365 (I assume!). Will I need to leave the JetDrive in my MBP whenI re-install (Dropbox folder there at present)? Any suggestions most welcome.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Witcher 3 (Switch) Preview

Classic posters from Cuba's Golden Age celebrate cinema and revolution

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Comment télécharger des films et séries Amazon Prime Video ?