Hot Topics

New Mac user Software question

Daley 14:33 11 May 2020

Hello everybody.

I recently bought a family iMac (used) and just need some opinions on the most cost effective MS Office bundle to go for. We only really need the major applications of Word, PPT, Excel. I’d rather not have to pay an annual subscription.

I see a lot of “offers” selling Activation Keys. I assume this is a code to “open” the already downloaded software?!

I think I’d rather the hard copy DVD as well for backup.

Secondly,

My son is a Fortnite fanatic and I was wondering if I’d be able to run Fortnite on the iMac. I suspect it’s too old (late 2013, 27”, i5 Core, 3.2ghz, 16GbRam)?

He also wants to play Minecraft Java? I presume that’ll run fine tho?

Apologies for asking such basic questions - I’m completely out of my depth with Macs at the moment!!!!

Thanks in advance

Marty

bremner 19:12 11 May 2020

I am an experienced Mac user but have never taken too the Apple Office Suite particularly Numbers the Excel equivilant. I have used Libre Office and find that a reasonable alternative to MS Office.

But it does come down to personal opinion so I always advise new to Mac users to give Pages and Numbers a try before wasting their money.

Lester Pendrey 16:19 16 May 2020

Open Office is alive and kicking, latest release Dec 2019. It is now known as Apache OpenOffice.

wee eddie 17:22 16 May 2020

Sorry Lester, I was under the impression that Apache had abandoned it

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: Five things you need to know

Marco Oggian's Dreams and Nightmares explores our global anxiety in 2020

Apple releases the public beta for macOS Big Sur

AirPods : comment résoudre un problème de connexion ?