New ipad can I use old settings for it

Govan1x 12:56 24 Mar 2018
Answered

I have a new iPad coming to morrow for my wife.

The question is can i delete her old iPad and use the her normal sign in and password for Apple & itunes on her new one.

Or is it just a matter of getting a new email address and passwords for it.

Pine Man 16:31 24 Mar 2018

Can't see a problem with that.

The user sets their own password for the device when it's first set up and this could be anything whether or not it is in use on any other device or devices. All other passwords etc are for sites you are connecting with on the internet regardless of what, or who's device you are using.

There have been recent changes which means that you cannot use the same passwords for your Apple ID/Keychain & iTunes/App Store when they are set up from scratch.

wee eddie 20:06 24 Mar 2018

Apple being what it is. I would be very surprised if there wasn't an App for just that

BRYNIT 09:37 25 Mar 2018

Have a read of CLICK HER

BRYNIT 09:43 25 Mar 2018
Answer

For got to say if someone else is going to use the old iPad or your going to sell it remember to remove it from the icloud account.

Govan1x 10:51 25 Mar 2018

Ok thanks everyone for the information.

I would probably be able to do it myself but will get my grandson to do it for me to make sure it is done right.

It may take a while as they are on there way back from Australia today with it. But will let you know how we get on.

Govan1x 12:45 25 Mar 2018

Had another thought. We are going on Holiday for a month at the end of April. So was just wondering when i get the new iPad up and running would it then mean that I could use any of the 2 ipads at any time.

Don't want to take the new one on holiday in case it has an accident. In theory Both should still work, Would that be the case.

john bunyan 13:14 25 Mar 2018

As long as you use the same Apple ID and password on both , I see no problem. Later, if you want to dispose or give away the old one , follow the recommendation issued by Apple to sign out of find my iPhone and factory reset etc.

Govan1x 13:35 25 Mar 2018

Thanks JB I was thinking that would work.

I will be resetting the old one at some stage but not at the moment. Cheers.

Govan1x 18:55 25 Mar 2018

Ok did it through iIunes and iCloud it seems to have gone ok but lost most of my contacts.

Will see if I can find anything to get them back tomorrow.

Govan1x 10:02 26 Mar 2018

Ok forget about contacts. Just checked her ipad and there is just the same amount on that.

I must have been thinking of the contacts that she has on her iphone. Not sure if you can transfer them or not or whether they are needed.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus