NEtworing my modem and my Apple Airport Extreme

David Spours 13:27 07 Nov 2016

Hi all, I'd like some advice on my network as I want to get the best that I can and I'm not sure if I need a new router.

Ok so for years I got by on the modem I bought about 6 years ago, it's a Linksys 2.4 GHz (54mbps) router and it's worked fine but not so fast.

I have 16MB broadband (I'm in Dubai and this is pretty pricey) and recently I got the Apple Airport extreme which I connected and am running a second network.

The issue is the first network from the router doesn't go far, not even to the next room but the second network does - although it still drops off to be honest.

My PS4 drops off the network sometimes but this, my tv and apple tv are all connected to the router.

So two things: 1 - should I be connecting my other devices to the Airport Extreme 2 - do I need a new router that is faster?

Thanks for the help, Dave

mgmcc 15:25 07 Nov 2016

If your broadband connection is 10Mbps then nothing you connect to it will make internet connections run any faster than that. What connecting the Airport Extreme will let you do is connect your devices using 802.11ac protocol which is faster than the router's 802.11g at 54Mbps. This speed benefit only comes into play for transfers of data across your local network.

should I be connecting my other devices to the Airport Extreme

Try it and see if there is any improvement in performance. Bear in mind that the Airport Extreme supports simultaneous dual band - 2.4GHZ and 5GHz.

do I need a new router that is faster?

If you have the Airport Extreme connected to your router, that is going to give you the fastest possible WiFi connections. With Apple devices (my iMac and MacBook Pro) I can connect to my Airport Extreme at speeds of 1300Mbps. My router (also 802.11ac) only connects at 600Mbps so the Airport Extreme has a much better implementation of 802.11ac than many other devices.

David Spours 08:04 08 Nov 2016

You see the original network doesn't stretch to the next room, and with Airport Extreme it does but it's still not very strong at all.

I have 16MB broadband but it doesn't seem that fast - so a new router won't make any difference? Mine is old and pretty slow.

mgmcc 08:24 08 Nov 2016

You see the original network doesn't stretch to the next room

That might depend on the type of walls. In an old house with thick stone walls, these could severely degrade the signal. Similarly, a new house with aluminium foil for thermal insulation in the walls will effectively kill the WiFi signal between rooms.

I have 16MB broadband but it doesn't seem that fast - so a new router won't make any difference? Mine is old and pretty slow.

Go to this Speedtest.net site to check what internet speed you are actually getting. It will tell you your download and upload speeds. If the results are nowhere near the service you should be getting, a new router (it's actually the modem rather than the router but yours are probably combined) may give an improvement.

David Spours 09:32 08 Nov 2016

I have internet connection in both rooms, could I set up a second modem / router in the other room? Would this work?

mgmcc 10:43 08 Nov 2016

You can only have one modem connected to the broadband service which is presumably ADSL via the phone line.

David Spours 12:21 08 Nov 2016

would something like this be a decent option?

TP-Link Archer D5 AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router

Sorry i wouldn't let me post a link

mgmcc 17:35 08 Nov 2016

would something like this be a decent option?

To achieve what? If your existing modem/router is giving you the maximum internet speed your ISP package provides, connecting your Airport Extreme to it will give the best possible WiFi connections and I can't see what you expect to get beyond this with a new modem/router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch