Hot Topics

need to run windows on my iMac

bri10 13:25 02 Jun 2020

Do I need to run Windows on my iMac (2011) if I want to use it as an extra monitor for my PC I have connected the display port on the PC to the thunderbolt port on the mac through a purpose built cable but no luck

Jollyjohn 14:32 02 Jun 2020

click here Is this any help?

appltechie 13:31 02 Jul 2020

Normally you would easily do that using Apple’s own Boot Camp Assistant that allows you to run Windows 10 on a Mac and switch to macOS when you restart it. However, your iMac is from 2011, which makes it just about too old to cross the threshold for that. Unless you have iMac Pro, you’ll have to use a Virtual Machine such as Parallels.

I’ve used Parallels on my mid 2014 MacBook Pro myself and I can say it works just fine. Yes, it might be a tad bit too slow, but only because you’re running two operating systems at the same time - it’s completely understandable. Rather than splitting your HD into two separate partitions for macOS and Windows, it allows you to run Windows 10 INSIDE macOS - sort of a virtual machine technology. You can run Windows apps at the same time with Mac apps without having to switch to macOS whenever you need to access iMovie or Safari.

You can regulate how much of your Mac’s hardware you want to devote to Windows, e.g. how many processor cores or disk space. Overall, it’s great. The most significant downside as opposed to Boot Camp is the price. Virtual machines aren’t free - Parallels costs $80.

Hope this helps.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

Japanese fashion illustration makes for one dreamy catwalk

Tim Cook will face antitrust committee on 27 July

App Store : comment obtenir un remboursement ?