Migrating data on an upgraded MacBook Pro

Machelpplease4me 14:09 05 Aug 2018

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro (A1278) which I've just had the RAM and memory upgraded on (swish swish zoom zoom lightening fast). The shop that did the upgrade installed the latest OS, and also Microsoft Office which I didn't have before. So I now have my old laptop wiped, formatted and empty – only with some extra software on which I don't want to lose.

Prior to the upgrade I backed up my stuttering MacBook Pro with Time Machine on an external hard-drive. So I'm now wondering the best way to get all my old data and settings and lovely background wallpaper onto my new formatted superfast computer, without losing the new software and the new OS.

Questions are: - If I just plug in the external hard-drive and enter Time Machine and click restore or whatever it suggests, will it literally just revert me back to my old setup, throwing out my shiny new Microsoft Office package in the process? - Or, I read briefly about something called Migration Assistant – is this what I need?

So to recap, the endpoint I want to get to is something that looks and feels and uses like my old laptop, but with the addition of the new software running on the new OS. How do I get here?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

bremner 14:44 05 Aug 2018

Migration Assistant will allow you to choose exactly what you want to transfer to the new machine from the Time Machine Backup.

Click Here for Apple's instructions

Machelpplease4me 15:08 05 Aug 2018

@bremner hey, thanks for your response. I understand that I can choose exactly what I want and don't want to migrate at the incoming end, but my question is more whether that would replace what's currently on my laptop. ie. I basically want everything from my old laptop (currently on the external hard drive) plus the Microsoft Office package (currently on the laptop).

bremner 16:07 05 Aug 2018

You can choose which files, programs, setting you want to ADD to your new installation.

Machelpplease4me 14:11 06 Aug 2018

@Bremner Okay, thanks for this, though I think you're not really understanding my question.

Can anyone else help?

bremner 18:11 06 Aug 2018

I perfectly understand that is why I emphasised ADD

You are in control with migration assailant. It only adds what you want to add, nothing on the laptop is removed or overwritten.

QuickbooksEnterpriseSupport 11:57 10 Aug 2018

Thanx for the article, it really contains real and true stuff, for any query related to Quickbooks you may contact us on Quickbooks Enterprise Support

aolsupport 13:40 27 Aug 2018

If you want to save your date and migrate the data on Macbook then you have to follow these steps. We are providing best service related to business accounting software if you want to take more information related to this then coordinate with Sage support.

aolsupport 13:00 08 Oct 2018

In case if you are facing this problem then check your account is blocked if it is then you cannot send emails you blocked because they notice that some unusual singing activity. If you are facing any issue then you can coordinate with AOL Chat Support.click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL