Hot Topics

Memory Pressure caused by memory leak (I take it)

Kestion 06:06 20 Feb 2020

Hi all!
[ MacOS 10.12.6 Sierra. ]
I am having problems with Memory Pressure (showing in Activity Monitor); I take it that I have a memory leak happening somewhere.
Originally, I thought my problems were caused by the Chrome extension “SideWise” — which is for hibernating tabs. If the machine crashes, it gets horribly confused. I have restarted since deactivating SideWise, and I have closed almost all of my (very many) open windows/tabs, so I am thinking that that is not the cause of my current problem. (I am progressing towards creating an entirely new Profile in Chrome, but I am not there yet.)
[The following is recent, and is new(s) to me.] The most recent event was when I was in Trash, trying to Delete Immediately a movie file (= package). There was a problem deleting the file… and a problem stopping the deletion. I left the Trash window with a spinning lines thinggy for the QuickLook image of the movie file/folder. After a while, my machine got sluggish.
Parenthetically, the usual symptom that it has all gone wrong is that I can not launch additional applications… so I had Activity Monitor already running.
I have 16GB of RAM, and the memory pressure was (visually) at about 95%. The QuickLook process was using 13 or 14GB. I Force Quitted it, and the Memory Pressure went back to normal. (I still could not launch new applications, and had to reboot.)
I get this problem such that I have to reboot every 2 or 3 days. It is plausible that it is always QuickLook, or QuickLook on EyeTV; I am still working it out.
(Incidentally, I am having small odd problems with EyeTV, apparently related to Preferences; but it is not apparent that that is related.)
I am hoping that someone out there knows about problems around an intersection of • memory pressure and • not being able to launch new applications (or that there is a known memory leak with QuickLook (possibly &EyeTV) ). (I thought that, once I had Force Quitted the QuickLook process, I would be able to launch new applications.)
Any help would be appreciated, please/thank you.

Kestion 09:33 09 Mar 2020

WIP answer to my own question: .

It seems that Chrome is unstable, caused by the Extension SideWise [which is an otherwise brilliant extension for hibernating windows]… which in turn I think can not handle a crash with any Incognito windows open… or maybe just a crash. Particularly, I was trying to work out what — if anything — is wrong with Chrome, and it crashes when I try to create a new user.

It seems that there is a separate problem with a memory leak — QuickLook (in the Finder) can not handle an EyeTV file [which is actually a package, which is just a folder] where it can not find the thumbnail. (Incidentally, I have tried logging a support call with Geniatech and they are ignoring me.)

Kestion 09:35 09 Mar 2020

Noone said that the above is The Answer.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Report says rental e-scooters will be legal on UK roads from Saturday

MC Escher: the world's first data artist?

Mystery 10-core iMac appears in Geekbench results

Les meilleures séries OCS (2020)