MBP 2018 forgot me?? Help!

JimPD 17:45 09 Oct 2019
Answered

Tried to upgrade to Catalina yesterday

On restart, MBP will not recognise my password (yes I am sure it is correct)

In recovery / password reset, there are no 'users' in the list so I cant change any passwords (there are actually no other users set up, just me).

Also tried recovery / timemachine backup.

It sees my backups on my external SSD but once chosen, wants me to choose a destination disc but the list to choose from is empty.

What do I do???

bremner 17:53 09 Oct 2019

Did the machine complete the upgrade and take you to the log in screen or was there any time you had cause to intervene in the process. Several users have reported long periods when the machine appeared to be stalled causing them to force a restart leading to some issues

JimPD 17:56 09 Oct 2019

I think that was the case here.

JimPD 20:54 09 Oct 2019

Also just tried reinstall OS. Get stuck at choosing disk to install to - doesn't list any disks to install to

It is like it cannot see the internal SSD

Really stuck here.

bremner 06:08 10 Oct 2019

You need to boot holding CMD R and use Disk Utility to see what it reportys on your Hard Drive

click here

JimPD 21:59 10 Oct 2019
Answer

For info, in case anyone else has this issue, the internal HD was not being seen by the machine

Booting up holding ctrl-R, gets to recovery options. Choose disc utility. Looking at Lefthand sidebar, Internal HD was greyed out. Clicking on it gives detail of internal HD, including that disc showing as 'unmounted'

Choose erase and it resets it to blank but 'mounted'. Exit and select timemachine back up and.....

Good as new!!!

(assuming you back up regularly!!!)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !