Mbook Pro 2009 resets after loading about 70%

theocrasia 12:23 12 Mar 2018

Ok, so my Macbook Pro (2009 13 inch), starts to load up: you see the apple logo, the bar loads to about 70%, and then it resets.

When I hold shift to do safe mode, it gets to about 90% and then doesn't progress any further.

I wiped the hard drive recently, and installed OS High Sierra (which it was running comfortably until recently). If I put the hard drive in a caddy, I can use that OS remotely with my other Macbook, which indicates there is no issue with the hard drive.

I recently needed to swap out the 8GB of RAM (proven working) from it to a different machine, so I put in 4GB (2 x 2GB) from another Macbook (proven working). However since I swapped in the new RAM, I haven't had a successful OS load.

Prior to the hard drive wipe, and re-installation of OS, it would show the apple logo and then reset immediately (before the loading bar would show), after re-installation of OS, now it is doing as described above.

I have reset SMC and PRAM (to my knowledge).

It would appear the issue is the RAM by deduction; but I would have presumed that a RAM issue would prevent a boot entirely?

Before buying new RAM are there any other suggestions to be made?

Thanks.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?