Hot Topics

Making the Switch from Windows to Mac

GhulamAfzal11 22:41 24 Mar 2020
Answered

Hey everyone,

Firstly I hope you are all keeping safe and well amidst the Coronavirus outbreak. Please stay at home.

I currently have a Windows PC which is running Intel i& 6700 CPU overclocked at 4.00GHZ with 32GB RAM running with the AMD Radeon RX 480. I'm a wedding photographer/videographer and I'm hating how Adobe is making us pay monthly for Premier,Lightroom and Photoshop. Using all 3 is expensive however, my main issue is how a lot of my friends and people I follow on youtube use Final Cut Pro.

They say it works a lot better in terms of workflow and is a lot faster, my PC can play games at high resolution yet Premiere can still crash and have bugs etc.

I am wanting to make the switch to Mac OS but I have a dilemma. Do I purchase an older basic iMac 5K model such as the 2017 version and then upgrade the CPU and RAM rather than paying loads through apple. Or is it worth getting an older Macbook pro (similar year or 2015) and using that solely for my video editing and keeping my Windows setup?

Many thanks!

HondaMan 14:24 25 Mar 2020

Hopefully, it's a "welcome to the club". I have been using Macs of one sort or another for 6 years. Whilst some people heap praises on them, they do have restrictions, such as a shortage of software, made more apparent by the latest software,Catalina, which broadly speaking does away with all 32-bit applications.

If you object to Adobe's charges, think about the Affinity Suite by Serif here.

Pine Man 15:24 25 Mar 2020
Answer

I changed from Windows to Macs about six years ago as well. I have never looked back and always been able to find the sort of software I need.

My needs for photographic manipulation are not so onerous as years and I have been using Photoshop Elements in different guises for about 7 to 8 years on PC and Mac without an issue.

I have been very pleased with my Mac. Maybe I've been lucky but everytime I switch it on it works, it's always worked and does exactly what I want it to do with a high degree of safety. The same could not have been said for my use of Windows.

HondaMan 17:40 25 Mar 2020

Hi, PineMan I never switch mine off!

Pine Man 18:55 25 Mar 2020

Hi, PineMan I never switch mine off!

You are in the majority. Very few do turn them off.

I suppose it is a hangover from windows when you wouldn't dare switch off because it probably wouldn't start again or maybe even set your house on fire!!

GhulamAfzal11 02:58 26 Mar 2020

Thank you for the reply guys!

If you object to Adobe's charges, think about the Affinity Suite by Serif here.

I've seen that and I do like it but I love the creative space from Final Cut Pro X. I've been watching loads of videos on there and I just have fallen in love with it. I'm currently playing around with Da Vinci Resolve by Black Magic on my Windows at the moment.

**You are in the majority. Very few do turn them off.

I suppose it is a hangover from windows when you wouldn't dare switch off because it probably wouldn't start again or maybe even set your house on fire!!**

Haha wow I guess that would be something which would take time to get used to, a friend of mine is a web developer and he made the switch from Windows and got a Macbook Pro and he loves it and finds the Mac OS far superior.

I'm torn between buying an older 2017 iMac refurbished with these specs: 27-inch (diagonal) Retina 5K display; 5120x2880 resolution with support for one billion colours

16GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory

512GB SSD storage1

FaceTime HD camera

Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory

Or going for the new latest one but with a slower GPU. I'm not bothered about RAM as you can save money and buy it from a 3rd party and install yourself.

What are you all currently running in terms of your model,year and specs? I'm just intrigued! Thank you for all your replies

HondaMan 09:16 27 Mar 2020

for me it is a 27 inch 4Ghz i7 with 24GB of ram and a 3.12 TB fusion drive. When I bought it, it was pretty much the top of the (sensible) range but by modern standards it could be regarded as "old and slow". I also run a MacBook Pro 3.1 Ghz, quad core i7 and 16GB ram which is actually faster.

I originally bought a MacBook from Morgan Computers simply to see how I got on with it, fell in love with it and haven't looked back since.

Pine Man.

"I suppose it is a hangover from windows when you wouldn't dare switch off because it probably wouldn't start again or maybe even set your house on fire"

Like it!

Jollyjohn 12:10 28 Mar 2020

Be aware that Mac's are not as easy to upgrade as PC's. My son and I saw a 2014 model in our local CeX shop. When we checked the specs at home there was a note that the RAM was not upgradeable. I support a few customers with Mac's and have found Apple support very helpful, even when the device is out of warranty.
and all my Mac customers just leave them running all the time.

HondaMan 12:19 28 Mar 2020

Jollyjohn - the RAM is upgradeable on the 21 inch model, but only by authorised dealers and professional repairers. It's NOT a D.I.Y. job like the 27 inch model

GhulamAfzal11 03:54 29 Mar 2020

I'm looking at either getting the 2017 27" model fully loaded or I may hold off as I know Apple could be releasing a new iMac this year with a new bezel and design. I heard it could be very expensive but I don't want to splash the cash and then end up regretting if it the new iMac comes out.

Always get the 27" model as upgrading the RAM is much easier, I may go for a Mac Mini for a cheaper option and wait for the new one to come out.

wee eddie 07:05 29 Mar 2020

Ghulam: You will always be waiting for a "New" one to come out. Doesn't matter which Computer Company's product you are talking about

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo's next phones will feature 125W wired and 65W wireless charging

Keith Haring's only museum is now free and virtual to enjoy

iPhone 12 to bundle braided Lightning cable

Microsoft Flight Simulator : date de sortie et gameplay