Hot Topics

MacBook Pro - re-installing sticking spacebar

PeteH 15:51 16 Feb 2020

Hello...I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13"....Yes, prone to sticking keys..... I am having the problem of sticking keys, one that is the cause of particular concern - the spacebar. I felt that if I could carefully remove it, clean behind and replace it. I am having great difficulty with the reinstallation....searching the internet, I came across this advice on the subject :- "All these space bars have clips on the top edge, and slide guides on the bottom. it'll be 4 on top, 4 on bottom, so they are stiffer to get off. But if you start on the left or right side of the key with a thin bit of plastic, making sure to get between the keycap and the scissor clip (not under it)**, roll it around the top corner and slide it along the top edge, you should feel the lips pop off as you move along. You'll need to come out and go back in after each clip pops off. but once the first one pops, you can get your nail under the corner you just passed to hold it up." Unfortunately, I did not "get between the keycap and scissor clip", with the blade used; and I have removed the keycap with the scissor clip attached. Can someone kindly advise me how to proceed i.e. should I separate the scissor clip from the keycap ...how is that done, and then what's the procedure for reconnecting the parts, please? I would be most grateful for any advice anyone is able to provide. Many thanks  PeteH

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

The Best Keyboards for Designers and Artists

Appification is the real threat to the Mac

Bon plan Amazon : l’aspirateur robot RoboVac L70 Hybrid de Eufy à 379,99 €