Hot Topics

Macbook Pro (early 2012) no startup disk

MacDude2019 17:24 21 Oct 2019

Hi all. Stumped & nothing online has resolved my issue. I have 2 brand new ssds I've been trying this with.

I reset the nvram

I tried a factory restore cmd+option+shit+R

I can see the hard drive in disk utilites, can clean & verify everything but for the life of me when I go into select the startup disk there is nothing there.

Just letting it boot I get the folder with a question mark.

Anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated

Jollyjohn 12:02 22 Oct 2019

Using this link as a guide - click here - Have you got the original hard drive in place? After Disk utility, at step 8, can you reinstall MacOs? If you use Cmd + Option + R - Internet Recovery - this should allow you to reinstall the OS to your new SSD. Let me know how you get on.

MacDude2019 14:52 22 Oct 2019

Thanks Jollyjohn, unfortunately I cannot figure out how to go that route as I bought this laptop from my work & the apple id I have is not recognized/associated as the original account that purchased Lion.

Jollyjohn 12:47 23 Oct 2019

In that case you will need a cd / usb stick with a MacOs on it. You need to then format the disc and start from scratch. You will then be able to use your own Apple ID. If you don't have a cd / usb - see here click here I recently purchased El Capitan on USB and it worked to recover a MacBook in very similar circumstances to yours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Report says rental e-scooters will be legal on UK roads from Saturday

How are agencies approaching hiring creatives of colour?

Mystery 10-core iMac appears in Geekbench results

Les bons plans smart home (2020)