Macbook Pro (early 2012) no startup disk

MacDude2019 17:24 21 Oct 2019

Hi all. Stumped & nothing online has resolved my issue. I have 2 brand new ssds I've been trying this with.

I reset the nvram

I tried a factory restore cmd+option+shit+R

I can see the hard drive in disk utilites, can clean & verify everything but for the life of me when I go into select the startup disk there is nothing there.

Just letting it boot I get the folder with a question mark.

Anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated

Jollyjohn 12:02 22 Oct 2019

Using this link as a guide - click here - Have you got the original hard drive in place? After Disk utility, at step 8, can you reinstall MacOs? If you use Cmd + Option + R - Internet Recovery - this should allow you to reinstall the OS to your new SSD. Let me know how you get on.

MacDude2019 14:52 22 Oct 2019

Thanks Jollyjohn, unfortunately I cannot figure out how to go that route as I bought this laptop from my work & the apple id I have is not recognized/associated as the original account that purchased Lion.

Jollyjohn 12:47 23 Oct 2019

In that case you will need a cd / usb stick with a MacOs on it. You need to then format the disc and start from scratch. You will then be able to use your own Apple ID. If you don't have a cd / usb - see here click here I recently purchased El Capitan on USB and it worked to recover a MacBook in very similar circumstances to yours.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !