Macbook Pro died after plugging Thunderbolt drive?

Capybara 23:08 16 Jan 2018

Hello,

I need help on how to tell if plugging in my G-Media Thunderbolt drive is going to put my Macbook Pro 15" mid-2014 in a coma again.

The second I plugged in the drive, which always worked perfectly, the computer shut off. Thinking it was just a random crash, I rebooted, and then plugged the drive again. This time, the computer shut off for good. Resetting SMC, trying to start it again all night, nothing was working, it sounded totally dead, absolutely no sign of life. I concluded that the motherboard had fried, although the G-Media drive was in very good apparent condition. It's powered via Thunderbolt, not with an adapter ( click here )

The next day, about 12 hours later, you can imagine my surprise when I was suddenly able to power the computer, with everything working fine again. It just started like nothing happened.

I have 2 questions : 1. what happened ? 2. how could I test if plugging this drive will cause this issue again, without causing this issue again ?

Thank you

Capybara 18:47 17 Jan 2018

UPDATE : I was able to plug another device (ethernet cable via ethernet>thunderbolt adapter) in that same port on the MBP, and no problem happened. I would really like to know how I could check if the drive is not going to cause the same (dramatic) problem again?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment bloquer les pop-up sur Android ?