Hot Topics

MacBook Pro CPU usage to high?

borojohn1964 12:09 28 Apr 2020

Hi. I have noticed the vshieldscanner which I believe to belong to macafee is using about 90-95% of my CPU usage. As seen in the activity monitor. Is this normal? seems pretty high. Thanks.

wee eddie 15:43 28 Apr 2020

Someone better correct me if I'm wrong.

It is my understanding that Antivirus Software uses as much of the CPU as is necessary, when running a Scan. Among other things, this reduces the amount of time the Scan takes.

bremner 06:01 29 Apr 2020

I am using AVG on my iMac and that as I type is running a scan and is using 0.4-0.7% CPU

McAfee is known to be a hog but 90% is very excessive and has been reported as an issue. click here.

Personally I would dump mcAfee and installed AVG

wee eddie 10:54 29 Apr 2020

That is only a problem if you need the RAM for other purposes

appltechie 13:34 29 May 2020

High CPU can create significant problems for your Mac. It can cause it to overheat and delay its functioning. I highly recommend that you go to Activity Monitor and close any applications that are consuming too much CPU. If you don’t recognise a name for a process, it can be a background activity essential for your Mac’s maintenance. However, it could also be a malware. If the process consuming a lot of CPU looks unfamiliar and suspicious to you, check its parent task. If it’s called kerneltask you can check if it’s an authorised apple extension or a third-party product that might be a source of a virus. Go to Applications → Utilities → Terminal and type in kextstat, press “Enter”. It will list all the processes associated with kerneltask. The ones run by apple will start with com.apple. Third-party processes will start with the name of the developer. If you don’t recognise the name of the developer, the chances are that it’s a virus process. In this case, you’ll need to locate the source file in Finder and uninstall it, either through a separate Uninstaller program or via trash. It doesn’t always work with viruses as they infiltrate your entire file system - if you still observe high CPU usage, you might have to get a special cleaning software that you’ll have to pay for.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

For Microsoft, 2020 is a year of profound change

Inspiring Creative Projects in response to Pandemic & Protest

First glimpse of iPhone 12 packaging

Coronavirus : quel type de masque acheter et où le trouver en ligne ?