Hot Topics

Macbook Pro 2011 not booting normally.

Lee Worrall 14:55 28 May 2020

Hi I bought a reconditioned Macbook recently with Mojave already installed. Whaen I came to update two recommended updates (security, Safari), it now will only boot in safe mode. Also it will no let me reinstall Mojave Or Update to Catalinia even though it is recomending that I do. This is a first section of the error report:
Process: InstallAssistant [951] Path: /Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/MacOS/InstallAssistant Identifier: com.apple.InstallAssistant.Catalina Version: 15.5.01 (15501) Build Info: InstallAssistant-1457006000000000~868 Code Type: X86-64 (Native) Parent Process: ??? [1] Responsible: InstallAssistant [951] User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2020-05-28 14:40:43.250 +0100 OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G5033) Report Version: 12 Anonymous UUID: D91F99A6-DF9C-C647-1236-37AB3A3CF5CB

Time Awake Since Boot: 5200 seconds

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXCBADACCESS (SIGSEGV) Exception Codes: KERNINVALIDADDRESS at 0x0000000000000090 Exception Note: EXCCORPSENOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11 Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb Terminating Process: exc handler [951] Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

appltechie 13:20 02 Jul 2020

If your Mac only works normally in Safe Mode, a third party app is causing the crash. There are a few things you could try here.

First, create a new user account and see if the problematic app works fine there. If it’s a third-party app, I suggest completely uninstalling it. Delete everything - including system files. You need to go to the ~/Library folder and follow through to Application Support - any folders with the app’s name must be deleted. Caches, too. Don’t forget to empty Trash.

Second, attempt repairing your drive in macOS Recovery Mode. Restart your Mac and hold down Command + R as it boots. From the Utilities window that appears select “Disk Utility”. In the Disk Utility window, click on Macintosh HD in the sidebar on the left. Then click on First Aid. This should automatically detect and repair any problems with your drive. Keep running First Aid until no problems are detected.

If you keep experiencing the problems, definitely reinstall macOS. You mentioned that it won’t let you do that - have you tried wiping your hard drive in Recovery mode Disk Utility first? You can try starting up the Mac from an external drive as well - see if that makes any difference.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Report says rental e-scooters will be legal on UK roads from Saturday

MC Escher: the world's first data artist?

Mystery 10-core iMac appears in Geekbench results

Les meilleures séries OCS (2020)