Hot Topics

MacBook with duel screen won't stop mirroring.

Fluke32 11:08 06 Jun 2020

Hi. I have a MacBook (2014) that I would like to use with 2 monitors. Both monitors are the same make and Im using a Kensington SD3600 dock. I have got as far as the Macbook desktop appearing on both screen but its duplicating. I have unchecked the mirror screen box but its still mirroring. I have a Mac mini that I use with both screen and that works fine with the desktop extended from screen 1 to screen 2. I have a windows laptop that works fine extending from screen 1 to screen 2 but I just can't get my MacBook to do it. Please help, its driving me mad.

bremner 11:07 07 Jun 2020

Do you get the "Extended desktop" option on the MacBook?

simonjary 06:52 08 Jun 2020

What is the connection with the monitor? HDMI or DVI/VGA?

Fluke32 18:12 09 Jun 2020

Hi Sorry for the delay in replying. Bremner no I do not get the extended desktop option, only the mirror screen box which is unchecked. I know my MacBook supports duel screen so its strange.

Simonjary. I have a Kensington doc which is connected to the two screens by dvi/vga. The dock then goes via a usb lead to the laptop.

Thanks for your help.

bremner 18:34 09 Jun 2020

What MacOS is on the MacBook and Mac Mini?

simonjary 18:49 09 Jun 2020

Yes, it could be an OS issue, or something else with the dock.

Fluke32 19:48 10 Jun 2020

Hi Guys Bremner both are running Catalina.

Simonjay the dock works fine with the Mac mini and with both my personal and work windows laptops. Outputs the desktop to both screens no problem. Im probably going to have to accept its just one of those things.

wee eddie 20:48 10 Jun 2020

Don't give up, it could be something as simple as a different way you're arranging the cables

simonjary 21:07 10 Jun 2020

Sometimes you need an “active” cable. Try with a different one.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 4a review

Apple updates the 27-inch iMac for 2020 with 10th-gen chips and a new screen

Greg Joswiak replaces Phil Schiller as Apple SVP of Marketing

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour animaux (2020)