Mac OS 10.11 Upgrade to Catalina ?

jkoh 01:22 13 Oct 2019

Hi .. I have a MacBook (12-inch, Early 2016) with OS X EI Capitan 10.11.6. Can this Macbook be upgraded to Catalina? From the OS aspect, I believed it can be. But from the hardware side, I read somewhere is it not suitable for Catalina. Also in the System Preferences screen, there is no Software Update button. Please advise. Thanks .. John

bremner 06:07 13 Oct 2019

Yes click here

Click on the Apple symbol top left and choose About this Mac and then Software Update

jkoh 09:37 13 Oct 2019

Hi Bremmer .. thks a zillion for the response.

There is no OS Updates option in the About This Mac screen, only Apps updates. I have tried this before, and it is the same, Apps updates + some other securities update. How do I get to the OS Update? ps.. I need to get to min Mojave (better straight to Catalina) to install some new applications.

Thank you so much .. John

bremner 09:45 13 Oct 2019

That is where I have always got mine and did so last week for Catalina

jkoh 10:59 13 Oct 2019

Noted Bremmer. Thanks for your response & support. Rgds .. John

HondaMan 11:42 13 Oct 2019

Since upgrading, my computer has shut-down for no apparent (to me at least) 4 times. I do not think catalina is stable enough yet to be released onto the open market. BEWARE

jkoh 13:01 13 Oct 2019

Noted Bremmer. Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it. Reds .. John

HondaMan 20:00 17 Oct 2019

I have given up on Catalina, at least for now. Apparently OKI printers have a major problem with it, acknowledged by OKI and updated drivers are expected but not before the middle of November or even into December. BEWARE!

Pine Man 14:10 18 Oct 2019

Some Mac forums are likening MacOSX Catalina to MS Vista!!

I must be lucky. I got on well with Vista and Catalina seems fine as well so far with only a minor issue concerning disc printing but Canon released new drivers yesterday and everything is great.

In preparation for Catalina I did ensure that all 32bit apps/software had been updated where possible prior to installation.

Jollyjohn 17:03 19 Oct 2019

Not meaning to hijack this thread but does anyone know about i-photo (32 bit) on Catalina? I have had a query about getting it to work after the upgrade to Catalina.

jkoh 21:30 19 Oct 2019

I am putting the upgrade to Catalina on hold until it becomes a little more mature. I do not have the tech competencies to fix any hiccup should it occur. Pls do update this thread and share your experience on this upgrading journey (though I am so tempted .... uuggghh). Thanks

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Les bons plans jeux vidéos (2019)