Mac book running BOOTCAMP / windows / overheating

beautyofthebass 19:40 27 Feb 2019

Hello,

I had a friend install bootcamp on my laptop for me, everything works, the hard drive is partitioned and all boots up fine. The reason for this installation is to play a game with my friends, however the laptop is getting extremely hot.

The game even kept on crashing, however with a couple of driver updates that seems to have stopped. I have also done some research and found that bootcamp dedicates all processing power to windows when it is running, unlike parallels which allocates a certain amount of power to each OS as it runs them at the same time. So this isn't an issue of my laptop not giving the game it's full processing power. (I think!)

The game has had to be turned down so far down on it's graphics, it looks like I am playing on a gameboy in the unreal engine. I can barely see what is going on.

These are my (2014 macbook pro,) laptop specs: 500MB SSD 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

The game is 'The Isle' and requires:

CPU SPEED: Quad-core Intel or AMD processor, 2.5 GHz or faster. RAM: 6 GB. OS: Windows 7 64-bit or later (64 Bit ONLY) VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R9 280X series card or higher. FREE DISK SPACE: 20 GB. DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB.

Could this be a graphics card issue? Or just the fact the game and OS are not optimised for macs. If this is a graphics card power issue, is there something I can upgrade my laptop with? I'm willing to spend a bit of money on upgrades to get this to work! I just want to play a couple of games with my friends really! I'm also not very clued up on tech, as you may be able to tell if the answer is staring me in the face.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

bremner 11:44 02 Mar 2019

Take a look at this Click Here

As it says you should have an NvIdia Graphics card as well at the onboard CPU Iris Pro. If the game is only running on the Iris that is probably why why performance is poor and the machine getting hot.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?