Looking to purchase an iMac

Tilly Gibbs 12:06 03 Aug 2018
Answered

Hello everyone I’m looking to purchase an iMac but I have a bit of a budget and the new models are not within that. I’m wondering if anatomy could be me Iv been looking at the iMac 2013 and the 2015.. I’ve heard you can upgrade parts such as the ram etc any information would be great on upgrading parts too and where to get these things done I live in the uk. Also if I was to purchase of 2013 or 2015 model And upgrade certain parts would it be worth it? I’m a hobbyist photographer and would like to use it for programs such as lightroom and photoshop, I decided to go for Apple as I have an iPhone and iPad and then all my devices would be connected for when on the go. Thank you

bremner 17:19 03 Aug 2018

Upgrading RAM is very simple on an iMac - a screw under the centre of the screen. Everything else is not for the faint hearted - you have to remove the screen for starters.

Crucial.com is a great place to buy Ram but you will have to check if they deliver in your country, even if they don’t run their scanning tool and it will tell you what you need.

I have a 2015 iMac and it would easily do what you require.

wee eddie 18:59 03 Aug 2018

Bare in mind that Apple do the same as Microsoft when it comes to past OSs.

They stop providing protective updates. Mac's are pretty safe but not completely so.

bremner 19:24 03 Aug 2018

Your 2013-2015 will comfortably run High Sierra and the soon to be released Mojave so updates will not be a problem in the slightest.

I would recommend an anti-virus, AVG for MAC is free and reliable.

HondaMan 21:30 03 Aug 2018

Remember that the RAM on the 21 inch iMac is not upgradeable and that Apple charge the earth. Virtually everything else is non-upgradeable by the user, so make your choice carefully.

I have a 27 inch on which I upgraded the memory to 24GB. The screen is great and it is very quiet. Whilst there are many similarities with windows there are also some annoying key combinations missing. like drag'n'drop. In windows it's easy, but in MacOS you have to remember to use the key.

Tilly Gibbs 08:21 04 Aug 2018

Thank you everyone for your feedback.. okay so it’s quite easy to upgrade however Apple stop providing support after a certain amount of years.. would you recommend a windows desktop that can support lightroom and runs it smoothly

HondaMan 12:25 04 Aug 2018

Having had windows machines for over 30 years and Apples of various models for 6, I have to say that NOTHING would make me go back to windows, especially in its present form. I run windows 7 Pro in a virtual machine on my iMac and it's great. I need it for a couple of old windows applications, Access mainly.

Pine Man 13:30 04 Aug 2018

I have a 2014 iMac which has never missed a beat. It has had the OS regularly updated and is capable of being updated to Mojave and maybe beyond.

Lke HondaMan I would not consider reverting to any Windows machine.

I also have an iPad, iPhone and iPod and they synchronise beautifully with each other and the iMac.

I am not entirely resistant to change - I was once a Honda Man but I have converted to Golf Man ;-)

Tilly Gibbs 16:24 04 Aug 2018

So would I be better off getting a monitor and pc separate?

bremner 17:03 04 Aug 2018

Tilly

Please ignore the suggestion about Apple not supporting old OS’s it is spurious for the reasons I gave in my earlier post.

If you want a seemless syncing of data between your iPhone, iPad and computer get the iMac

Tilly Gibbs 20:25 05 Aug 2018

I just got give this

Processor AMD Fx (tm)- 6300 six-core processor 3.51 ghz

Installed ram 8gb

System type 64-bit operating system x64- based processor Windows 10 Os build 17134165

I don’t know what else it as, I’m not overly knowledgeable on these things

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

New Nvidia graphics cards offer 'industry-changing' real-time raytracing on your computer for the…

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Les meilleurs téléphones portables basiques (2018)