Location details via iMessage iOS

Lkigo01 18:59 18 Jul 2019

When I look at my daughters location on my iPhone by opening messages then selecting our message thread then pressing her contact name displayed at the top then pressing the i symbol underneath her name, when the map appears I click the phone symbol and a larger map appears with her name across the top.

My question is why when I do the same thing for my husband does my name displays across the top of the larger map that opens in the last step instead of his contact name?

I’ve tested it with two other contacts on my phone and they all display the contacts name not mine.

Can anyone explain this? Thanks

Ps I asked my husband he says he has no idea. Yes I have concerns that he is somehow faking his location for nefarious purposes lol

john bunyan 19:26 18 Jul 2019

On my iPhone the only option is to display MY location, not theirs. To see where someone with an iPhone is you have to use Find my I phone and know their Apple ID and password

Lkigo01 19:52 18 Jul 2019

If you share your location with someone from messages it dies exactly what I described. There are three methods to view location via iPhone - via messages if location shared , via find my friends if added and find my iPhone with Apple ID and password dword

john bunyan 20:41 18 Jul 2019

Ok but if ( for example) your husband doesn’t want to share and you don’t know his Apple I d and password, he can be anywhere. Maybe I would switch off those functions if I thought someone was tracking me without my knowledge

Lkigo01 05:20 19 Jul 2019

We both have apple IDs and we know each other’s Apple ID/paw and we and share our locations. If he was switching it off it would indicate his location was unavailable - it does not do that - a location is provided on all methods - find iPhone , find friends and via messages and it’s the same. My question is why is it on everyone else who shares their location with me (some on my plan, some same service provider, some different service) their contact name appears at the top but when I view my husband via the messages method it says my name but if I click info it will show me his contact info. Obviously there is something causing that to happen and I’d like to know what it is.

Lkigo01 05:21 19 Jul 2019

We both have apple IDs and we know each other’s Apple ID/paw and we and share our locations. If he was switching it off it would indicate his location was unavailable - it does not do that - a location is provided on all methods - find iPhone , find friends and via messages and it’s the same. My question is why is it on everyone else who shares their location with me (some on my plan, some same service provider, some different service) their contact name appears at the top but when I view my husband via the messages method it says my name but if I click info it will show me his contact info. Obviously there is something causing that to happen and I’d like to know what it is.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs