Latest IOS I can use with this spec iMac ?

TheDogsMother 16:06 03 Jan 2018

Apologies in advance if don't use the correct Mac terminology here :-) I'm enquiring on behalf of my partner who is the Mac user in our household and he wants to upgrade the version of Illustrator he is using to the subscription/cloud version. In order to do this he will need to run a later IOS. Currently it is 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) The machine is a late 2009 iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo processor and he recently upgraded the memory to 8GB so does anyone have any idea of the latest IOS that we could upgrade it to ? The machine will certainly need to be upgraded soon but if an IOS upgrade would enable a s/w upgrade for now that would be great. Thanks in advance for any of your expert advice.

bremner 16:31 03 Jan 2018

Apple support says High Sierra click here

TheDogsMother 16:54 03 Jan 2018

Hi Bremner. Thank you for responding. Subsequently to posting my question I did find that info on the Apple support site then tried to upgrade via the AppStore. The message says that it cannot be installed on my computer. When I click the 'learn more' section it just flips into lots of information about Mountain Lion. I wonder if it would make sense to try an earlier IOS upgrade (if they are still available) and see how far I can go with it.

bremner 17:50 03 Jan 2018

It says here click that you can upgrade from ML

Can you just confirm it is definitely Late 2009 model. Click on the Apple symbol top left of screen and choose About this Mac.

If it confirms it to be so then can you give me a link to “learn more” section you mention

TheDogsMother 11:00 04 Jan 2018

Hi Bremner - I'm so sorry, I checked again and it is actually an early 2009 which probably explains things. I told you I knew nothing about Macs being a Windows person myself :-) So to reframe my question, what is the latest IOS an early 2009 machine of this spec can run ?

bremner 18:44 04 Jan 2018

Yosemite

TheDogsMother 16:54 05 Jan 2018

Thanks Bremner, that's really helpful thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple