iPhone 5s locked to Vodaphone

Govan1x 16:42 06 Apr 2018
Answered

Brother in law has given me a brand new iPhone 5s that he got as an upgrade last year,He has now been given another upgrade to iPhone 6.

The iPhone 5s has never been registered for use so tried my Virgin sim in it today,

It first said no service on the top left of the Phone then that changed and it wifi signal.

So started loading it put the wifi security code in and it accepted it then moved to the next part where it failed. Said sim was not meant for this phone. Or words like that. So that is as far as I have got so far.

Think he got it from carphone warehouse but will ask him later as he stays abroad at the moment.

I believe the iPhone 5s locked to Vodaphone which he uses.

Is there a way of getting it unlocked , Although he has had it for a year he has never used it.

mrcalif 16:57 06 Apr 2018
  bremner 18:15 06 Apr 2018

Recently had the same issue when putting a Virgin sim in an EE locked iPhone.

Virgin arranged the unlocking for free once I was able to confirm where and when I had bought the phone and after I supplied the IMEI number.

BRYNIT 18:41 06 Apr 2018

If you don't already have it download and install Itunes onto your computer. Put the SIM card into the iPhone, open itunes, connect your iPhone to your computer and wait for itunes to detect it. If you get the message welcome to your new phone you can use it as it will be unlocked. If you get any other message like the Sim is not suitable have a read of this from the Vodafone web site CLICK HERE

Govan1x 17:28 07 Apr 2018

Had a stroll down town today. Tried carphone warehouse and they don't do it.

They said try the Phone repair shop across the street. Yes we do it but it will cost £40 - £45 needless to do it. I walked out. Especially when Vodaphone does it for free for customers. Tried another phone shop a bit further on. After checking his computer he said yes we can do it for £20. I said that sounds good then he said you will need to leave it here for 8-10 days as we have to send it away.

I said I would think about it and walked out. To tell the truth the chap looked a bit iffy so I have no intention of going back.

Which means that I will just have to get a Vodaphone sim card and use that for 30 days and then see if Vodaphone will open it up to all networks like they say.

Will leave this thread open for another couple of days just in case someone can find an easy way of fixing it.

john bunyan 18:23 07 Apr 2018

Have a read

Vodaphone

With your B in L help you should get an unlock code.

mrcalif 19:23 07 Apr 2018

Apple iPhones don't use a code method. They unlock via the IMEI Number of the device via their servers, hence why you need to go via the Original Network Operator where the device was purchased who put in a request to Apple.

The only UK Operator that does not lock they're phones when purchased is Three/3.

So Govan1x is going to have to follow the advise posted earlier. There are other methods but they are risky.

Govan1x 14:43 08 Apr 2018

Well I already went through JB's selection and it ask's Have you used your current SIM with your device for more than 30 days?.

And if you say no you cant get any further.

So what does one do. one cheats and says yes and carries on. Everything went ok and I received this message.

Thanks for getting in touch about unlocking your phone, we’ve asked your phone’s manufacturer for a code so we can unlock it. This can take up to 10 working days, so please hold tight for now.

As soon as we’ve got the code, we’ll email you with instructions on what to do next.

So as the phone has not been used or activated I am expecting a denial mail back from them.

But was thinking if I put a Vodaphone sim card in it and activated the phone I might stand a better chance.

I usually always tell the truth but desperate times need desperate measures.

So it either works or its back to using a vodaphone sim card for a while, providing they don't lock it completely.

mrcalif 15:09 08 Apr 2018

desperate times need desperate measures

Jailbreak it if your that desperate.

Govan1x 15:34 08 Apr 2018

Nah not that desperate mrcalif. Anyway would not know how to do it and can you do it to a iPhone that has never been used.

I will look up how to do it but have not got the inclination of doing it.Thanks for the advice though.

Govan1x 17:51 08 Apr 2018

Sim card in iPhone and almost finished setting it up. Just waiting for the latest update to install. Now the question is should I put any credit on it or not.

Might have boobed by putting may email address and password on it instead of Brother in laws. Mind you I don't know his password and would not ask him for it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment bloquer les pop-up sur Android ?