Hot Topics

Installing older version of MacOS on 2019 Macbook

Jake Barker 18:39 30 Mar 2020

Hi, I would like to install an older version of MacOS (Mojave or earlier) on a 2019 Macbook pro that is currently running Catalina in order to play 32 bit games, while still being able to run Catalina (so installing on an external hard drive or something so that I can switch between versions). Is there an easy way to do this? I cant find anything online that makes sense to a novice.

Pine Man 18:57 30 Mar 2020

On the basis that you computer has updated to Catalina since you got it, the previous OS will be available for download in the App Store and will be a 32 bit system.

bremner 21:46 30 Mar 2020

Just to be clear the MacOS has been solely a 64 bit OS for some time, since Lion or Mountain Lion I think . The difference with Catalina is it is the first that it will not run anything but 64 bit applications.

Pine Man 08:24 31 Mar 2020

bremner

Good point. I should have said 'capable of running 32bit games.'

Jake Barker 16:18 31 Mar 2020

Thanks both, I will download an earlier version on the App store, but I was also after some simple instructions on how to run both OS at the same time (ie downloading one OS to an external hard drive or internal volume). I cant seem to find simple instructions online to do this.

bremner 10:00 01 Apr 2020

Have a look at this click here

Jake Barker 10:13 09 Apr 2020

Thanks all, I have had a look and I am still a bit confused, when it says I need to erase the root drive, wont this delete all of the data on my laptop? Sorry for the stupid question!

Pine Man 10:22 09 Apr 2020

From the instructions:-

Now you will see the external root drive in addition to the volume below it.

It's the root drive on the external drive it is referring to and that is the one to erase.

Jake Barker 10:28 09 Apr 2020

Thank you so much, that is really useful!

François-Guillaume RIDEAU 06:40 15 Apr 2020

I want Mojave for the same reason (run old 32 bit games)

this doesn't work for me i have downloaded the Mojave installer on the App store my mac is running on Catalina 10.15.4

when i try to run the installer, i get the following message in a pop-up window

This copy of the "Install macOS" application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS

bremner 07:50 15 Apr 2020

You cannot run the installer to downgrade the Catalina from within Catalina. You need to follow the advice in the link I gave 10.00 on 01/04/20

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Why you can't get the Windows 10 May update yet

Inspiring Creative Projects in response to Pandemic & Protest

Upcoming 11in iPad Air to switch Lightning for USB-C

Déconfinement : tout savoir sur l’application StopCovid