Hot Topics

Initial Setup issues with keyboard

Paul 17:06 25 Feb 2020

I'm trying use an old Macbook (OS X 10.5 and older) that my girlfriend doesn't use anymore but she has no idea what the password is on the laptop. I'm a PC guy but just wanted to check out a Mac so I did some googling and found an answer which had 2 process that should work.

Process 1 After powering on press and holding Command + S

mount -uw /

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist

ls /Users

dscl . -passwd /Users/username password

reboot

This didn't work but...

Process 2 mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

This worked till I got to the initial startup when I try and enter the info for 'Registration Information' my keyboard doesn't work or is locked because I can press the Caps Lock key and it lights up green but I can't enter any info to proceed past this step. Can anyone help???

Thanks

bremner 18:02 26 Feb 2020

Have a look about half way down this article Click here MacBook Pro keyboard not working - about resetting the relevant plists

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google brings group video calls to the Nest Hub Max

Why Animated Characters in Brand Advertising Are Grrrreat

iPhone 12 series could have smaller batteries

Les meilleurs SSD et disques durs externes (2020)