iMac suddenly began crashing all the time

ronaldbs 12:52 10 Oct 2015

My iMac suddenly started crashing after less an hour of work - i don't think it is because of overheating - i installed SMC fan control - fan is spinning and temperature is 36 - 40 degrees centigrade. The after crash report states: Sat Oct 10 14:25:32 2015 panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8008762d25): "hfsgetnewvnode: bad cablocks (too small)"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2422.115.14/bsd/hfs/hfs_cnode.c:1249 Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

any ideas? thanks

Macworld 12:40 12 Oct 2015

When I had issues with an old Mac I kept Activity Monitor running so that I could see if there was something in particular causing issues. Open that program up and see if you can see anything odd.

You also need to look for patterns, is the crash happening when you are running a particular program (Activity Monitor will help here because you will see if a particular program is taking a lot of power).

You say that you don't think it's overheating, but with the Macs we've had this kind of issue with that has always been the case. Does the Mac feel hot to touch?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)