iMac stuck in reboot loop

alapickles 19:47 14 May 2018

Hi -- I've got an iMac here that's stuck in a reboot loop. I've reset the PRAMS and all that good stuff, it won't boot in recovery mode (flat out refuses too), won't boot from USB and won't recover from internet -- it get a little bit into them, before almost timing out and the screen just goes white. Also won't boot in safe mode.

I managed to Run Apple Hardware Diagnostics where it came up with this error:

4M0T/0000003: HDD-1213

any idea how I can fix this? any and all suggestions greatly appreciated

Forum Editor 10:00 15 May 2018

The code refers to the Hard drive fan motor, and the error message is telling you that it has almost certainly failed.

When did you last clean out the dust and fluff? it's worth a try, although the chances are that the motor will need replacing.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?