iMac Lockout, no proof of purchase.

barnby 22:31 02 Apr 2019

I'm locked out of my iMac due to password change cockup. Screen has padlock icon. Apple say that without proof of purchase, they can't reset the password. They are basically saying throw it away along with all the work contained therein. Anybody know how to get round it? Steve

wee eddie 09:01 03 Apr 2019

So, where did you get it?

john bunyan 16:55 03 Apr 2019

Was this a second hand Mac? If jailbroken I phones etc get blocked on attempting updates

Jollyjohn 11:44 04 Apr 2019

Geta 32GB USB drive or external hard drive. Press and hold Command + R When you get to this screen click here Reinstall Mac OS to the USB drive or external hard drive. Once installed reboot and hold the Option key - more info here click here and boot from the recovery drive you have just created.

You should then be able to see the internal hard drive and recover your work from it.

john bunyan 20:44 06 Apr 2019

Another First time poster who doesn't bother to reply

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans