Help with Mini Mac running Windows

charaldan 11:26 14 Apr 2018

Hi - I have inherited a mini mac Core 2 Duo T5600 which was originally running Windows 7 but has since automatically updated to Windows 10. I am pretty sure the original Win 7 was a clean install and not done via boot camp as I cannot access any kind of apple start up menu. My problem is that that there are no win 10 drivers to support the sound system on the mac mini and hence I just have a red cross through the loudspeaker option and windows cannot install a playback device. I have Windows 7 disks and would quite happily reinstall that or install the original ios (lion 10.7)and take it back to an apple op system. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to boot from the DVD drive. I have followed the C key press after pressing power on but it just goes into windows 10 anyway (even though I hear the dvd drive whirring a bit). And if I try getting into recovery (Win Key +R) after the chime then I again go straight back into loading Windows 10 and I don't know whether this is because the original Windows 7 install stripped out the necessary drivers to provide the recovery software or because the lack of Win 10 sound support means I can't hear a chime. Please forgive me but I'm a PC tinkerer used to going into BIOS and being able to do what I want! This is new to me but I'm willing to learn - all knowledge is useful.

bremner 16:22 14 Apr 2018

You need to hold down Alt not the Windows key on boot

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?