have I been hacked? Is there a way to check?

dinoso 22:20 27 Mar 2017

Today I was using public Starbucks wifi (in a busy Starbucks in London) on my MacBook Air running Yosemite. I booted up Facebook on chrome and tried to send a message to my friend. As I tried to type "I'm ready" to my friend in Facebook, the following message was typed instead (even after my hands left to keyboard) "iiimimimi mi mi mri mri mrie mriae mriae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mridae mrWHT" (WHT being me mistyping "WHAT"). I understand that the weird message closely resembles what I was typing (Im ready) so I considered that it was a keyboard malfunction. I ignored it at first thinking it's nothing and continued to Skype with my friend. Twenty minutes later it occurred to me that it could have been a hack given that it was public wifi so I turned off my wifi. I then checked my firewall to find that it was off! (I did however, have Sophos anti virus running) What do you guys think? Could this have been a hack? Is there anything I can do to check? (I have considered also that it's a copy paste accident but what I had copied previously was completely different).

mgmcc 11:21 29 Mar 2017

Download and run Malwarebytes to remove any potential malware.

Burn-it 14:30 29 Mar 2017

Stuck keys!!??

Sky_wayne 09:58 03 Apr 2017

Antivirus is really a need in most laptops or pc nowadays. I think you opened a site that happens to be a virus. I'm not pretty sure though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

HomePod review

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (2018)