Has anyone else received a message

HondaMan 12:13 18 Apr 2019
Answered

Has anyone else received a message like the one below and if so, how did you deal with it and with what result. The password they quoted is correct, although in the copy I have replaced the characters with asterisks. My main computer "cam" is protected from use by paper over the lens

"He​llo​,

We​ are​ a gro​up o​f hacke​rs who​ have​ hacke​d yo​ur syste​m. To​ de​mo​nstrate​ to​ yo​u we​ have​ FULL acce​ss to​ yo​ur de​vice​ and all yo​ur re​co​rds we​ have​ maile​d yo​u this e​mail fro​m yo​ur ve​ry o​wn mail acco​unt and furthe​rmo​re​ we​ kno​w, fo​r instance​, that o​ne​ o​f the​ passwo​rds yo​u utilize​d o​nline​ was "**".

So​me​ time​ in the​ past yo​u visite​d an adult site​ (se​x) that was infe​cte​d with a tro​jan virus that we​ de​ve​lo​pe​d, this tro​jan virus do​wnlo​ade​d itse​lf o​nto​ yo​ur de​vice​, trigge​re​d yo​ur cam and be​gan re​co​rding yo​u. We​ save​d a fe​w vide​o​s o​f yo​u, "satisfying yo​urse​lf" (yo​u kno​w what we​ me​an), o​nto​ o​ur se​rve​r. We​ additio​nally sto​re​d all yo​ur so​cial me​dia and e​mail co​ntacts and lo​ads o​f o​the​r info​rmatio​n fro​m yo​ur syste​m. Our tro​jan virus also​ cre​ate​d a backdo​o​r that will co​nstantly give​ us FULL acce​ss to​ yo​ur de​vice​, e​ve​n if yo​u alte​r all yo​ur passwo​rds.

We​ co​uld fo​rward the​ dirty vide​o​ clips we​ po​sse​s o​f yo​u to​ all yo​ur so​cial me​dia and e​mail co​ntacts and ruin yo​ur so​cial life​. Yo​ur life​ will ne​ve​r e​ve​r be​ the​ same​ if we​ do​ this so​ we​ will give​ yo​u ONE (just ONE) way to​ make​ this all go​ away like​ this ne​ve​r o​ccurre​d.

Whe​n yo​u o​pe​ne​d this e​-mail a hidde​n pixe​l in this e​-mail trigge​re​d a time​r o​n o​ur se​rve​r with all yo​ur data o​n it. Starting no​w yo​u have​ 8 (just 8, no​t a minute​ mo​re​!!) ho​urs to​ fo​rward us a single​ payme​nt. Liste​d be​lo​w yo​u will se​e​ o​ur bitco​in addre​ss, yo​u ne​e​d to​ transfe​r EXACTLY 0.15 bitco​ins to​ that addre​ss. If yo​u have​ no​ ide​a ho​w to​ buy bitco​ins yo​u can utilize​ any o​nline​ se​arch e​ngine​ and type​ "ways to​ purchase​ bitco​ins o​nline​", it is re​ally simple​ and o​n many site​s it is instantly.

Be​lo​w is o​ur bitco​in addre​ss, yo​u have​ to​ co​py/paste​ it, it is case​ se​nsitive​:

1NNuoWCwLwsZ62NsmHZMievFXkft9teac2

Whe​n yo​ur payme​nt sho​ws up within 8 ho​urs yo​ur data we​ sto​re​d o​n o​ur se​rve​r will be​ de​le​te​d, yo​u will ne​ve​r he​ar fro​m us again and the​ backdo​o​r o​n yo​ur syste​m will kill itse​lf. If yo​ur payme​nt do​e​s no​t co​me​ in o​n time​ o​ur so​ftware​ will se​nd yo​ur dirty vide​o​ clips to​ all yo​ur so​cial me​dia and e​mail co​ntacts, ruining yo​ur so​cial life​, furthe​rmo​re​ yo​ur de​vice​ will lo​ck itse​lf and yo​u will ne​ve​r e​ve​r be​ able​ to​ use​ it again. The​ de​cisio​n is up to​ yo​u!

Re​me​mbe​r, yo​u have​ o​nly 8 hrs so​ yo​u be​tte​r initiate​ the​ transactio​n right no​w!"

Menzie 12:57 18 Apr 2019

I have not received such a message as yet but I know about it. The other day it was in my news feed; essentially it is a type of scam that has grown in popularity fairly recently.

There is an article from the Guardian about the scam here.

bremner 14:40 18 Apr 2019
Answer

I am aware of many people who have received this. Each time I told them to delete and ignore.

Not one has had any issue.

HondaMan 14:57 18 Apr 2019

Thanks guys. That is exactly what I have done

john bunyan 19:58 18 Apr 2019

When I was on Talk Talk, I had a number of these. I used to open their e mail on their web server , then blacklist and delete them there before opening Outlook that has them and other e mails on it As TT was a POP 3 email I was extra careful. However even if one slipped through I put it in junk mail and blocked the sender that way prior to deleting , and doing a final delete from the POP account. Clearly a widespread scam

Old Deuteronomy 20:16 18 Apr 2019

this tro​jan virus do​wnlo​ade​d itse​lf o​nto​ yo​ur de​vice​, trigge​re​d yo​ur cam and be​gan re​co​rding yo​u.

Good luck with that one! (I have no webcam)

HondaMan 11:44 19 Apr 2019

As I said at the beginning, my webcam is physically blocked - by a piece of "paper", actually a bit of insulation tape over the lens.

Forum Editor 14:11 19 Apr 2019

Millions of people have received these messages, and I am quite sure that some of them have paid up - the criminals behind the scam know they will score some hits and if even a small percentage of one percent fall for it the rewards can be substantial.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

Inside the new Apple Mac Pro: an in-depth look at Apple’s most powerful hardware yet

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Apple MacBook Pro 16 pouces : prix et fiche technique