Folder changed to Unix executable

Luke V 14:11 02 Oct 2019

Hi, hoping someone can help. I have a small 128gb flash drive that pretty much stays in my Mac book air. I had a folder on there with lots of documents at leas a few gb in that has recently been changed to something called Unix executable. I no longer have access to the folder and the documents within. It also claims to have no file size. Has anyone encountered this before and knows how to revert it back to a folder I can access?

bremner 14:01 04 Oct 2019

Try this:

1. Open the Finder
  2. Go to your Macintosh HD folder (access this from Devices in the left column)
  3. Hold down Cmd + Shift + . (dot)
  4. All the hidden files will become visible

Go to the drive that has turned your folder into an exe

Make a new folder called XYZ2, drag all the files from the hidden folder into the new folder. Delete the now empty folder and the .exe folder and your drive will be as good as new.

1. Hold down Cmd + Shift + . (dot) a second time to hide the files again

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)