ext HD can't back up Time Machine, imac Sierra

torytt 07:48 12 Apr 2018

So I have a 2 TB Lacie external hard drive formatted ExFat, about 1.3 TB are used. I want to back up the Lacie drive using Time Machine onto another external drive (a brand new Western Digital, Mac OS Extended Journaled 8 TB drive) However when I go into System Preferences->Time Machine->Options I am unable to subtract the Lacie external drive from the exclusion list (it is greyed out).

I've tried several things. Ran First Aid in Disk Utility on the Lacie drive, no problems. Then went to "Get info" for the Lacie Drive and I see "sharing and permissions" has a single text line underneath that reads "you have custom access" (the normal user name and privilege options read/write etc are not visible).

Is the permission problem described above the reason why my Lacie drive can't be included in the Time Machine Backup? Or if not, what else is going on and how can I fix it? Btw, I'm not a programmer, but I can follow a set of simple instructions. Would like to avoid having to empty and reformat the Lacie Drive, as I'm not even sure that would fix the problem. Working on an iMac 2011, High Sierra, 1 TB with plenty of storage left.

Help much appreciated.

mgmcc 11:51 13 Apr 2018

Not quite sure what you're trying to do using the "Time Machine" program to back up an existing Time Machine Backup, but there is a very good little program called SuperDuper which will clone a hard drive. This would let you create an exact copy of your 2TB Lacie drive on the new 8TB drive. Be aware though that SuperDuper will erase anything else on the destination drive. You will only have a clone of the original drive.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)