Error reinstalling macOS after erasing hard drive

pollyjw 20:13 17 Mar 2019

I bought a second-hand MacBook Pro (2017) and tried to reset the laptop by erasing Macintosh HD and then reinstalling macOS Sierra. However, I have now unsuccessfully tried to reinstall macOS a number of times as it always throws an error just before it finishes installing - "an error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again".

When I go back to disk utility, the failed reinstallation's show up on disk images as multiple copies of 'Apple UDIF read-only compressed (lib) media'. Because of the number of failed reinstallation's, these files are now occupying 30 GB on the hard drive. When I go to erase the hard drive, selecting 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)', the erase process fails saying 'an internal error has occurred'.

I'm concerned I did something wrong when I first erased the hard drive as I don't remember if I selected 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'. Any advice on how to reset fully and successfully reinstall macOS would be greatly appreciated!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans