Hot Topics

Erasing my old imac hard-drive

grove67 11:01 12 Feb 2020

I recently bought a ssd to use as a boot drive for my late 2015 imac. This has gone well but I now want to erase my old internal hard drive and use it as a data drive. I will be using disk utiility to do this but I want to know what is the best way to do this and is there anything I should watch out for.

bremner 14:17 12 Feb 2020

In disk utility chose the drive and then click erase.

Under security options you can select the level of secure erasure. Be aware that if you choose Most Secure it will take hours. I usually choose the second level as this overwrite with random data then with all zeros.

When you have finished you will need to select the file format for the drive. If you have a need to access the data from a Windows machine at a later date then ExFat is the best choice.

grove67 14:29 12 Feb 2020

Thank you Bremnar, that is very helpful!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Can Art Book publishing weather the current crisis?

New MacBook Pro 2020 release date

Microsoft Surface Duo confirmé : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique