el-capitan recent update on my iMac

User-C94345C4-D592-4AA7-89B9FA6BE0E7FA3A 13:15 21 Oct 2015
Answered

Have got a late 2010 iMac. Have recently updated to el-Capitan , but am wondering how long before my computer becomes to outdated to accept anymore updates? I really don't want to get rid of my desktop has its one of the last Macs to have an inbuilt dvd/cd writer & player. Wondered if there was anyway of getting it rebuilt with newer components , so it's up with the latest Macs ( including if poss retina screen). I know this may be pricey , but anything is better than losing the dvd/cd player.

Macworld 10:14 22 Oct 2015

El Capitan supports Macs going back to 2008 so you should be fine for a while.

As for upgrading your existing iMac, that's not so simple. Many Macs from about that era had their RAM soldered on, for example, so even that couldn't be updated. And flash/hard drives often used proprietary connectors. You can see if there's anything in this article that helps you with upgrading though: click here

My advice would be that if you do upgrade your iMac you can just purchase a SuperDrive separately. That will give you the CD/DVD drive you are looking for and costs around £60.

Answer

Thank you.

HondaMan 19:58 24 Oct 2015

Any decent external drive will do. Apple do not do a blu-ray drive so I would suggest a Samsung. The one I have will read and write just about anything including blu-ray.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke spoofs all your favourite stock photo clichés

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?