Do I buy an Apple MacBook Air 2018?

Ajbajjer 17:18 24 May 2019

I have always used Windows. Impressed with quality of Apple products. What is stopping me changing to Apple is I have a lot of .wav files stored on a portable external drive. They are a life’s work collecting. I have this fear if I try to connect the drive to a MacBook Air it will not work. Could someone put my mind at rest?

HondaMan 17:53 24 May 2019

You can run Windows on a Mac!

HondaMan 17:54 24 May 2019

Also, see THIS

Ajbajjer 18:49 24 May 2019

Thank you for such a quick response! I appreciate.wav will play on a Mac and if I wanted to could run Windows on a Mac. Please excuse my poor phrasing. My worry is will I be able to extract the .wav files from the external drive (set for Windows) onto the MacBook Air by simply connecting the Windows drive to Apple laptop?

bremner 20:58 24 May 2019

You have not said what the file system is on the external drive.

Ajbajjer 21:55 24 May 2019

The external drive is a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro 500Gb using NTFS file system

bremner 08:13 25 May 2019

Three possibilities I can think of:

1. Take a read of this click here

2. If you have all the wav files on the external drive saved elsewhere, you could reformat the external drive as ExFAT then copy all the files back onto it. MacOS reads and writes to/from all FAT drives.

3. Buy a second external drive format it as ExFAT then copy from the existing external to the new one.

Old Deuteronomy 10:56 03 Jun 2019

Given the importance you attach to your music collection, you really should make sure you have additional back-ups of it. If the drive you are currently using fails, you could lose the lot, try and deal with it as soon as possible.

Ajbajjer 11:04 03 Jun 2019

Rest assured my collection of OTR is saved on several drives!

Ajbajjer 09:18 11 Jun 2019

Thank you very much for a detailed reply. I am aware of this approach as I have produced .aac copies for my iPhone. On my laptop I tend to play .wav with foobar. Interesting recent info re impending ‘doom’ of iTunes for Mac but not Windows ...

KevinWilson21 12:18 06 Oct 2019

Wow..

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique