Customising the desktop icons since new update.

User-C94345C4-D592-4AA7-89B9FA6BE0E7FA3A 13:18 21 Oct 2015

Have just updated from Yosemite to el-capitan. Went to put back all my images that were on my iMac under Yosemite and i find i cannot do it , as it won't allow me to paste.

Can anyone help me please?
  Macworld 10:10 22 Oct 2015

Do you mean you have done a clean install of El Capitan and you are trying to recover your photos from a back up?

No. I do apologise , as I've have totally mis-lead you with that question as i've left a few essential words out. When i had yosemite , my desktop icons were customised with images chosen by myself ,now i have el-capitan , i have tried to do the same and it will not allow me. Again i do apologise for mis-leading you with the first question.

Macworld 10:17 26 Oct 2015

It still works in the same way for me.

Say you have a folder on your desk top, right click on it and open up the Get Info window. Find an image you like, I usually open it in Preview and cmd-c to copy it. Then go back to the Get Info window and select the folder icon at the top (the smaller one) and cmd-v to paste it.

Does that solve the problem, for now at least. It must be frustrating that all the icons changed though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

How map doodles inspired Eric Chase Anderson's illustrations for a Wes Anderson classic

Mac mini 2018 review

Black Friday 2018 : date, sites participants & bons plans