Clean install of Mac OS on new SSD

Charlottle 13:31 01 May 2018

Hello,

I have a new Crucial MX500 1tb SSD. I want to replace my MacBook Pro’s current HD with this and do a clean install of the OS on to it, but it just doesn’t seem to be working. I currently don’t have High Sierra installed but I have made a bootable USB drive of the High Sierra installer from my applications folder and tried to install using this installer to my SSD. When it restarted during the install, I ended up getting a cycle of the computer shutting down due to a problem and restarting and it eventually turning off and not being installed. I also tried to install it to the SSD straight from the installer in my applications folder, and when the computer restarted it just reloaded my current HD and system and the OS was not installed on the SSD. When I try to go on to recovery mode it just keeps saying it will take a while to load internet recovery mode. I have formatted the SSD and ran First Aid in jt and it shows up fine in disk utility and the finder, the install just doesn’t seem to complete. I am not sure what else to try and feel like it shouldn’t be this hard. I have a mid-2012 non retina MacBook Pro. Does anyone have any ideas to help me please?

Forum Editor 14:09 01 May 2018

have you formatted the drive as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume with a GUID Partition Table?

Take a look at this.

Jollyjohn 15:42 01 May 2018

When trying to install to the new drive, watch the install process and when it reboots, about half way through, Hold Down The ALT key - and choose the new drive / installation.

Once it has completed a boot from this drive, it should use it as default.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment utiliser l’Apple Store Éducation ?