can't find 52.77 GB of pics

BailieJo 16:41 20 May 2019

2011 MacBook Pro El Capitan 10.11.6 has started buffering when using Facebook/Internet. I cleared cache, deleted all photos except a few recent ones to create more storage. Right now I have 142.79 GB free of 238.83 GB. Under apple icon, storage, it indicates I have 52.77 GB of pics. They are not in iPhoto or in "All my files". I searched for all files with .jpg and deleted old photos. I'm at a loss. I have no idea where these 52.77 GB of photos could be. Any help would be appreciated for finding photos and the buffering problem. I do have Norton installed - could that be a problem. If so, it just started and I've been using Norton for 5 months. Thanks

bremner 17:43 20 May 2019

You haven’t said you have done so but have you emptied trash

BailieJo 17:52 20 May 2019

Sorry for forgetting that, however, Yes, have emptied trash. I did search for other photo extensions and I seem to have quite a few that were added when computer was first created such as TIFF, PNG and GIG. They are not my files and I'm sure they wouldn't make up 52.77 GB of storage.

bremner 21:33 20 May 2019

How big is your Photo or iPhoto library file? And where is it located?

bremner 21:44 20 May 2019

The report from Storage is notoriously buggy.

Download Omnidisksweeper and compare the results against Storage. click here

BailieJo 13:35 21 May 2019

OMG - Thank you so much. It seems that Iphoto saved every pic I ever took in raw format (NEF - huge files). Storage for pics has dropped from 52.77 to 6.28 and I have 187 GB free rather than 142GB. I still haven't figure out where the Iphoto library is located but the link for Omnidisksweeper sure found it. I couldn't believe all the old files were still there even though I deleted them or thought I did. Now, let's hope there is plenty of room to stop the "buffering". I have two external drives that I use to keep all my travel photos after I have post processed them. I am so glad that you answered my post.... thank you very much. I hope you have a wonderful day.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)