Hot Topics

Cannot create an installer disc for Yosemite

HondaMan 16:03 05 Jan 2016
Answered

Try as I might, I cannot create a bootable installer, or whatever they are called for Yosemite. The problem seems to start when I cannot locate a file, "install Yosemite.app."

Any help appreciated

Macworld 10:00 06 Jan 2016

Is this article any help? click here

HondaMan 14:07 06 Jan 2016

I have seen that, but many thanks.

The problem I have is that the file "Install OS X Yosemite" is NOT on my computer which came preloaded with Yosemite.

Macworld 11:36 11 Jan 2016

If you go to the Mac App Store and look at downloaded items is Yosemite one of them?

HondaMan 07:07 12 Jan 2016

No, it's not there. This Mac was bought from Apple about 1 year ago and Yosemite was pre-installed

Macworld 11:26 12 Jan 2016

Do you know anyone who has purchased Yosemite from the App Store? The reason I ask is you can get the file from their Mac, even if they have updated to El Cap, just by going to the Mac App Store downloaded section. Then you will be able to install it. Did you update to El Capitan? Are you trying to revert back?

HondaMan 13:12 12 Jan 2016

Most of my computer friends are still on Windows. The two that have macs are in the same position as I am.

This iMac and one of the MacBooks are still on Yosemite, my own Macbook is on El Capital to which I upgraded yesterday, but even though I downloaded it a second time, without installing it, I cannot find that downloaded file. I am beginning it think that Apple has changed its download policies!

MacBookAir 23:33 12 Jan 2016

Apple does not allow you to download previous OS X systems once a new one is released. If you need to reinstall Yosemite you can use System Restore, which is now internet-based meaning it will download system files online from the App Store after Apple verifies your computer.

My understanding is you need that installer file to create a boot USB or other external drive media. Just posted a similar question on the forum...Good luck!

Macworld 12:19 14 Jan 2016

Unless it's changed since November, you could get it from the old downloads - read this article:

click here

HondaMan 11:27 15 Jan 2016
Answer

Thanks for your help guys. I have now reluctantly upgraded to El Capitan which gave me the El Capitan version of the file which is now stored safely on several memory sticks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?