Hot Topics

Can I just recover deleted iMessages from iPhone?

BobbyGrad 13:46 18 Aug 2015
Answered

I deleted iMessages history with my friend on my iPhone thinking that I can get the messages on my iMac. However, I can't find the messages with my friend on my iMac at home right now. I really want to get back the messages. Please help!

Macworld 10:26 19 Aug 2015
Answer

I think you might be able to recover an old archive - presuming the messages were in it.

This does mean you will lose any new messages since the archive though - and obviously it is dependent on you having an archive.

Sign out of iMessage. Quit Messages.

Open the Finder. Hold down the alt/option key and select Go from the menu and then Library (which only shows when you are holding down alt). A folder window will open. Find the subfolder called Messages and find an old back up that hopefully contains the messages you have lost... Of course this depends on the messages having been on the Mac, and I've just realised they may never have been there...

In that case, this might help: click here

IrisGA 13:42 19 Aug 2015

Hi, I think the answer from Macworld UK is great. You can recover it from the iTunes or iCloud backup files and you can also find the messages on your Mac if the message was on your Mac. In the article Macworld UK recommend you can find out that there are some third party software that can do this for you. I have tried some of them. The result of recovering iMessages and text messages is OK I think. They can find most of the deleted messages from my iPhone 6 after scanning my iPhone. I think it is depends on how long you delete the messages and if the space saved the deleted messages is overwritten by new messages or other data on your iPHone. If you want to use the third party software, I know a step by step article showing you how to recover deleted iMessages from iPhone. You can read it and try your luck.

BobbyGrad 14:19 19 Aug 2015

I think you might be able to recover an old archive - presuming the messages were in it. This does mean you will lose any new messages since the archive though - and obviously it is dependent on you having an archive. Sign out of iMessage. Quit Messages. Open the Finder. Hold down the alt/option key and select Go from the menu and then Library (which only shows when you are holding down alt). A folder window will open. Find the subfolder called Messages and find an old back up that hopefully contains the messages you have lost... Of course this depends on the messages having been on the Mac, and I've just realised they may never have been there... In that case, this might help: click here Blockquote

Hi Macworld, thank you very much for your reply. I can't find the messages on my Mac following the method you provided. I have tried the third party software you recommended in the article on Macworld UK. It did find my deleted iMessages on my iPhone. Thanks.

BobbyGrad 14:21 19 Aug 2015

Hi, I think the answer from Macworld UK is great. You can recover it from the iTunes or iCloud backup files and you can also find the messages on your Mac if the message was on your Mac. In the article Macworld UK recommend you can find out that there are some third party software that can do this for you. I have tried some of them. The result of recovering iMessages and text messages is OK I think. They can find most of the deleted messages from my iPhone 6 after scanning my iPhone. I think it is depends on how long you delete the messages and if the space saved the deleted messages is overwritten by new messages or other data on your iPHone. If you want to use the third party software, I know a step by step article showing you how to recover deleted iMessages from iPhone. You can read it and try your luck.

Thank you very much Iris. The article is really practical and I have also downloaded the software in the article. Both the software of you and Macworld UK recommended can find my deleted iMessages. I think I am going to purchase one of them. Thank you very much!

Bailifei 04:09 24 Aug 2015

read this article on macworld, and see they're recommending Dr.Phone. Just need to say it's quite a good software. Recovered all my photos and videos.

JohnCena00 11:10 24 Aug 2015

I am sorry to hear that. I think it's hard to get you imessage back. But i know some way may recover your friend's imessage on mac. Maybe you can have try. click here

Cafkkja 08:37 28 Aug 2015

If you have backed up in iTunes or iCloud, Coolmuster iPhone Backup Extractor can help you scan and extract data from iTunes and iCloud. However, if you have no backups available, Coolmuster iOSRescuer also help recover data. You need to download Coolmuster iOSRescuer on your PC .Then connect your iPhone to your computer. Scanning and recovery.

Xkoiul 08:07 22 Sep 2015

It is hard to say, I havn't such experience but I restored the deleted text messages with this solution here. You can download the free version to have a try.

Macworld 10:09 15 Oct 2015

Looks like a whole load of app developers have been on here ;)

yukimima 04:49 20 Oct 2015

FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery offers three useful methods for you to recover deleted iMessages from iPhone. You can choose to recover from your iPhone directly, it works when your lost data haven't been overwritten by new generated data. Besides, you can choose to recover from iTunes or iCloud backup files. If you have backed up your iPhone data to iTunes or iCloud before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €