Broken 6S+ Screen Costs across the globe

ashley_mcdowell 09:30 20 Dec 2017

Hi,

My iPhone accidentally dropped last week and small hairline crack resulted - a few days later I had the misfortune to find a completely shattered screen.

I was told the glass protection would have possibly prevented? Is this true?

More of an issue, is repairing the screen - last time I did this was in australia, which was straight forward.

However, I am in Europe and I don’t understand Apple’s maverick pricing across the globe.

Below prices are quoted from their official service centres.

6Splus replace display/screen: USA $169 / UK £179 / Australia $228 / AUSTRIA €300($354.00) / Germany €201.10 / Romania €192.00 /

Can someone please explain why USA and Australia have identical pricing, yet Europe is between 35% to 210% more inflated - whilst I could assume there are some FOREX factors to consider, but it seems ridiculous for a piece of glass to have such variation in Europe - if you are in Austria, don’t drop the phone!

Would European import duties, rent and labour impact the pricing? Certainly Australia is a high cost country yet they have identical pricing, added $USD is high shortening the delta.

I am also curious, does anyone know why Germany also charges €201.10 - could a €199 price tag be seen as a better price point.

To focus my question, has anyone challenged Apple regarding this - as it seems it could be a sore point?

ashley_mcdowell 09:33 20 Dec 2017

By the way, Australia is $AUD228 = $USD168

john bunyan 16:57 20 Dec 2017

Plenty of private repair folk- for example Timpsons, a shoe and watch repair franchise in most U.K. towns. Price about £70- £85 . If out of warranty, Apple charge too much. Just be a bit careful and ensure repairer uses genuine screen. I would also get a screen saver for abt £10 and a case with a thin rubber edge protection.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?